'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

mrtazwrench

Re: GM 5.3 swap questions

Post by mrtazwrench »

The GM's have a flex fuel sensor too underneath in the area where fuel filters used to be.

I may have lucked into a 5.3 that needs a coolant leak repaired, with a harness, I would need a PCM and tune, along with some of the accessories, I also have a 4L60 from a 96 S-blazer does anyone know if I can get that to work with the 5.3

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

A 96 4l60e will work if it has PWM cast into the pump housing. If it's not a PWM 4l60e, it will not work. 94-96 transmissions will not play nice with the LS motors. Mid year 96 is when they brought out the PWM transmissions.

On the flex fuel sensor, it's not on every truck, just the ones rated for flex fuel. It takes stainless lines and fuel rail and much larger injectors. e85 will eat normal steel.

I still need to send you those hubcaps, taz......
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

CAPTSmith

Post by CAPTSmith »

Roger that Jaber, thanks man!
Captain Dennis Smith, U.S. Navy
*'88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer w/GM LS 6.0 Vortec/4L80e/NP241c
*'89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer stock trail rig
*74 AMC Javelin AMX w/360, 4-speed Hurst, over 450 hp monster!
*83 Jeep CJ7 engine swap (305/TH400,Dana300/Dana44s)

Engine swap build thread: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1011

mrtazwrench

Post by mrtazwrench »

j20owner wrote:A 96 4l60e will work if it has PWM cast into the pump housing. If it's not a PWM 4l60e, it will not work. 94-96 transmissions will not play nice with the LS motors. Mid year 96 is when they brought out the PWM transmissions.

On the flex fuel sensor, it's not on every truck, just the ones rated for flex fuel. It takes stainless lines and fuel rail and much larger injectors. e85 will eat normal steel.

I still need to send you those hubcaps, taz......
I'll check the trans, but I was looking at the thread on pirate where the guy has complete engines with 3 wire hookup, he claims they are set to work with any trans, might all be in the tune, also sounds like he'll mod intact harnesses as well. If I end up with it I'll have an 03 engine and harness, I'll need accessories and brackets, starter, maybe intake, broken, and I suppose several other things I'm forgetting or not thinking of... and a shift case to go on the 4L60 as it has the one speed auto track now.

Caps are just for the old plow truck whenever...

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Well, you're probably talking about Wayne Hartwig. It's not setup for 'any' trans. Any 97+ 4l60e trans is a no brainer, program it as a an auto equipped rig. Anything pre-94 is a no brainer, program it as a manual. With the 97+ 4l60e's, you have to have a VSS signal going to the PCM so the PCM will know when to make the transmission shift. You either put it in the trans-tcase adapter or run a case that has a 2.72:1 ratio and put it at the rear of the tcase. If the VSS is between trans and tcase, program it as a 2wd, if it's in the tcase, program it as a 4wd. I still need to source a 97+ trans for my project. I have the worthless 94-96 model.....
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

mrtazwrench

Post by mrtazwrench »

j20owner wrote:Well, you're probably talking about Wayne Hartwig. It's not setup for 'any' trans. Any 97+ 4l60e trans is a no brainer, program it as a an auto equipped rig. Anything pre-94 is a no brainer, program it as a manual. With the 97+ 4l60e's, you have to have a VSS signal going to the PCM so the PCM will know when to make the transmission shift. You either put it in the trans-tcase adapter or run a case that has a 2.72:1 ratio and put it at the rear of the tcase. If the VSS is between trans and tcase, program it as a 2wd, if it's in the tcase, program it as a 4wd. I still need to source a 97+ trans for my project. I have the worthless 94-96 model.....
I know the trans I have has the range switch and such like newer ones, I was not sure if they had speed sensors like a mopar trans. I think I would try the speed sensor in the adaptor, and run a speedo cable from the T-case for the speedo, or get the speed sensor with the cable pass through from JTR. Last word is a decision has not been made weather I will have a chance at the 5.3, but I will grab anything from it I can. I'm tearing down my 88 wag for an engine swap now, I have another OE setup to go in but if this comes together I may go this way, a 5.3 is too much power for the J-truck thing I plan to build for my Son.

*EDIT* Looked at the trans today, it's the removable bell version, looking at car-part it's 96-97 only, looks to have all the plugs of a newer one.