Emissions Control Removal

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
pyro

Emissions Control Removal

Post by pyro »

I found some threads on ifsja about removing all the extra emissions control garbage on the FSJ, however none had any pics. We need to get another one set up because i am interested in this to remove some extra clutter and think this site needs a good how-to. I found this info, but am not sure if it applies to the newer (80's) j-trucks:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=144541
FSJunkie on IFSJA wrote:Modifications aside, here's what I do to remove the emissions equipment: Connect the distributor to ported vacuum and remove the switches and vacuum lines that it used to be connected to. Disable the EGR if you have it, remove the AIR system and plug the manifold fittings with bolts and brass washers. As for the cat, unless you want to do the work of removing it, just leave it.

Some stuff should stay though. Keep the thermostatic air cleaner, it helps engine warm up. Keep the PCV and evaporative controls (charcoal canister) intact too, they keep the thing from stinking of gas. Plus, those things don't cost power.

Remember to plug any vacuum fittings on the carb or manifold that aren't being used.

Before you're done, adjust everything on the carburetor. Choke inital clearance, choke setting, choke pulloff, idle speed, idle mixture, fast idle speed, you might even have to change out main jets. Also retune the distributor to get maximum power, smoothness, and economy. The specifications for your vehicle's tune no longer apply, you need to tune the engine by ear for the best running.
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

jaber
Vendor

Re: Emissions Control Removal

Post by jaber »

The only thing I would change is the last sentence, time it with a vacuum guage and you'll get closer...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Blue88

Post by Blue88 »

I've been looking into this too. My canister, air pump and various other pieces are missing. I have hoses plugged, laying loose, its a mess. I have been replacing lines that go places and printed off a diagram, but it's for an 85 model and I can't make heads or tails of a lot of it. My mileage stinks and I am sure this is part of it...
We don't have emissions here so its not a big deal, just trying to make it run its best in stock trim before we start changing other things.
88 GW 360/727/331-Dana44s
Tow package, 2.5 rough country lift
Tfi/big cap conversion,

Topic author
pyro

Post by pyro »

i pulled the air pump off and plugged the line today while waiting for my power steering pulley to come in. cranked right up, but seems to be hesitating and misfiring a bit. i just need to know what air lines i can yank out now. we need to get a how-to going here...
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I can help with the 6 cyl (just did mine in my Eagle) but my V8s have been too old for that crap.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
pyro

Post by pyro »

sweet...anything you can post up is appreciated. i have the 4.2L

picked up a flowmaster 40 series yesterday for $20 and will be cutting everything from the cat back off this weekend. anyone have any pros/cons to cutting off the cat?
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Blue88

Post by Blue88 »

Earlier oils with zinc can clog a converter.
Flat tappet engines need the zinc. If its not required remove it. If it is
there's nice after market on a budget.
What size 2&1/2, 3in?
Post a video when your done, we've been discussing exhaust options ;)
88 GW 360/727/331-Dana44s
Tow package, 2.5 rough country lift
Tfi/big cap conversion,

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

pyro wrote:sweet...anything you can post up is appreciated. i have the 4.2L

picked up a flowmaster 40 series yesterday for $20 and will be cutting everything from the cat back off this weekend. anyone have any pros/cons to cutting off the cat?
Get yo money back...

LOUD < practical in a low HP engine.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

pyro wrote:sweet...anything you can post up is appreciated. i have the 4.2L

Didn't do a diagram yet. Bare essentials
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
pyro

Post by pyro »

looks good...i am still slowly pulling off lines and capping them (i have a lot of leaks still from what i can hear). got the exhaust put on and it sounds great. no droning in the cab what-so-ever. got it all put on (headers-back) for $150.
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Topic author
pyro

Post by pyro »

update...got all lines and controls/sensors out. if anyone wants this emissions stuff let me know or else I'm throwing it out.
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

cliff54

Post by cliff54 »

Charcoal canisters are part of a vented fuel delivery system so you have to be careful. If the vacuum line that used to go to the canister is plugged, you can run waaay rich on the fuel mixture, especially on a warm day. I have experienced this. The plastic FSJ tank can swell if not vented and force more fuel under light pressure into the fuel line causing the mixture to go rich. This will affect fuel mileage. Make sure the tank is vented, whether to a canister of a simple filter.

Resqjeep

Post by Resqjeep »

I would keep your charcoal canister and double check your state law on removing emissions control devices. Here in Va if your jeep is being inspected you must have that stuff on it.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

On the charcoal canister removal... I learned the hard way and had a lawn sprinkler out of my carb before I drilled the gas cap. The MC 2150 and AFB carbs would hold the pressure but the Holley spewed.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac