Replacement Carpet Kits

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Crossfit_Wagon

Replacement Carpet Kits

Post by Crossfit_Wagon »

I need to replace all the carpet in my 84GW. I have found a few kits online but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this and any heads up on the replacing it? Here is the company I was looking at.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/items.asp ... eer_Carpet

chevelleguy

Re: Replacement Carpet Kits

Post by chevelleguy »

I think ACC makes the carpet that you will find online. BJ's Offroad has a slightly better price and they are members here too. Auto Custom Carpet makes good stuff, I have used it on other vehicles in the past.
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

I just bought a full carpet kit from BJ's Offroad for my Wagoneer I'm restoring. It showed up pretty quick, about two weeks and it is gorgeous. I did the cut pile loop with the mass backing for noise reduction. It is very nice and cut to fit.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Topic author
Crossfit_Wagon

Post by Crossfit_Wagon »

Thanks guys. I will check them out.

Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Hey Crossfit,
I was just in your shoes as well. I decided to go with BJ's too. I also got both upgrades and am glad I did. The carpet was molded very well and just had to trim the perimeter to fit. Here is a link to the thread I started on the subject. It has pictures of the carpet I got too. Have fun it's definitely fun to lay down fresh carpet.

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=4525
Lover of all Old Iron

60-79 CJ5 The best parts from several years combined to make one tough ALL JEEP CJ
81 J10 Pickup My newest acquisition undergoing a complete restoration

Topic author
Crossfit_Wagon

Post by Crossfit_Wagon »

Thanks for the link. I am waiting for samples so I can make sure I get the right color. I have completely rebuilt my GW and it's almost done. I can't wait to get it back out on the road/trail when I can.

jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

I picked up the BJ's kit and it definitely was not a perfect fit. The back was cut at an angle and not straight with the tailgate, that's my biggest problem with the fit. The mass backing was hard to work with and did not seat flush with the floor. The wheel wells took some work. I put down aluminum backed cld tiles, 1/4" jute, then the carpet with mass backing. It is entirely possible that removing the jute would have help a bit with the fit of the preformed mass backing, but I don't think it would have made a huge difference. Had I done it again, I would have had a carpet made to fit by the upholsterer. At very least not got the mass backing, and laid down my own mass loaded vinyl layer on top of the jute. There is a thin layer of jute already applied to portions of the carpet, not the entire thing. I would have preferred it not be there at all rather than just select areas.

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

jstev4610 wrote:I picked up the BJ's kit and it definitely was not a perfect fit. The back was cut at an angle and not straight with the tailgate, that's my biggest problem with the fit. The mass backing was hard to work with and did not seat flush with the floor. The wheel wells took some work. I put down aluminum backed cld tiles, 1/4" jute, then the carpet with mass backing. It is entirely possible that removing the jute would have help a bit with the fit of the preformed mass backing, but I don't think it would have made a huge difference. Had I done it again, I would have had a carpet made to fit by the upholsterer. At very least not got the mass backing, and laid down my own mass loaded vinyl layer on top of the jute. There is a thin layer of jute already applied to portions of the carpet, not the entire thing. I would have preferred it not be there at all rather than just select areas.
All VERY TRUE!
I would not buy it with mass backing or the cargo area again!
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

jstev4610 wrote:I picked up the BJ's kit and it definitely was not a perfect fit. The back was cut at an angle and not straight with the tailgate, that's my biggest problem with the fit.
Did you contact BJ's about the fit? I wonder if they all come that way. Seems so based on the post following yours.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

SJTD wrote:
jstev4610 wrote:I picked up the BJ's kit and it definitely was not a perfect fit. The back was cut at an angle and not straight with the tailgate, that's my biggest problem with the fit.
Did you contact BJ's about the fit? I wonder if they all come that way. Seems so based on the post following yours.
I didn't see the need to hassle with discussing a return, it just took a lot of labor to get it to where I was happy with it. I could put a trim strip on the back at the tailgate to hide the off angle, but probably won't. That's the dog area and you only see it when the gate is down. The poor mass backing fit was most noticeable when trying to mount the rear seat hinges. There was a gap between the mass backing and the holes and I couldn't get it aligned for a flush fit, and ended up cutting out a strip to fit the hinge behind the carpet so it would be flush with the mounting holes.

This pic shows the off angle cut at the rear. It's the best I could fix it.still about 1/4" off from left to right.

chevelleguy

Post by chevelleguy »

The angle at the rear would be covered up if you had the trim strip.
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

I purchased a vinyl floormat from ACC thru BJ's and it didn't fit worth a darn, did not fit any of the curves in the floor and was too narrow at the kick panels,had it for a year and a half before putting it in so was out of warranty BJ's tried to get it covered but ACC wouldn't take care of it,talked to the shop that is redoing my seats and he says the ACC kits for Jeep never fit very well, They recommended Trimline carpet kits just got it hope it is a better fit than ACC

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Another not all that satisfied BJs customer here. I order a vinyl kit for my J10 several years ago and it didn't fit worth a crap. I got it "good enough" and have run it, but no way would I buy another floor kit from them.

Just my thoughts,

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

husker77

Post by husker77 »

sonoraed wrote: They recommended Trimline carpet kits
Got a website?

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Don't have a website got the kit from a local upholstery shop I'll take a look at the box today at work and see if it has a website printed on it

husker77

Post by husker77 »

I had no luck with google.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

the outfit is called Trimparts, goggled the name and see some bad reports for this place too,hope the kit fits better than ACC

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

I don't know how long ago you guys ordered your kits but they must have fixed their problems. I just installed mine today and it was perfect! It went in great, all the preformed areas fit very well. I did order mine with the mass backing. I went through a few carpet blades but no other problems.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

DustinLangston wrote:I don't know how long ago you guys ordered your kits but they must have fixed their problems. I just installed mine today and it was perfect! It went in great, all the preformed areas fit very well. I did order mine with the mass backing. I went through a few carpet blades but no other problems.

Reviews have always been mixed...heavily so, even. Some report factory-like fit, while others of us have had problems of varying degrees.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

kmiller19

Post by kmiller19 »

Hey,

I am looking for a carpet kit for a very long time, but not found till now, please could anyone of you suggest me some best online sites for it or some shops from where I can buy a carpet kit???

Thank you in advance.