Custom interiors?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Wagonator

Custom interiors?

Post by Wagonator »

I'm thinking about reworking the interior of my 90 Grand Waggy and was curious to know if anyone else has done anything other than restore theirs?

I am wanting to put the temp and vent controls where the stereo currently is, or maybe further over towards the passenger side. I have ordered a center console to sit between the front seats, but was curious to see what others have done to add storage space. Has anyone replaced the seats altogether (front and rear) and if so, what was your donor vehicle or company you got them from? I guess another option would be to get mine restored, but they have large holes in the foam from what seems like a disgruntled canine. Is there any company that makes OEM seats for FSJ's? I have looked all over to find someone who does, but have came up empty handed thus far. Does anyone know where to get a new dash? Mine is cracked, warpped, faded, ugly... you get the idea. Any and all suggestions are welcome and apreciated, TIA.

Taylor
1980 Wagoneer rolling chassis

ProTouring442

Re: Custom interiors?

Post by ProTouring442 »

Change things up a bit? Hmmm... yes, I think that can be done. :D

I used the dash pad off an earlier Wagoneer, then designed the dash with a center stack to house the stereo, CB, scanner, and A/C controls I wanted.

I'll be recovering the dash pad when I am finished.

The wood panels for the center stack, the passenger's side panel, and the instrument panel are mock ups. The actual panels are ABS plastic (1/4" thick).

The top center stack section.

Again, but with all the switches.

There is a lower section, but I cannot seem to find a pic of it.

I cut out the area in front of the passenger to mount the electronics for the engine, transmission, and CB.

This is the panel that covers it (it will be wood grain instead of metal looking, only the center stack will be metal looking).

And here is the instrument panel.

Hope that helps you with some ideas.

Southern Gorilla

Post by Southern Gorilla »

ProTouring442 wrote:Change things up a bit? Hmmm... yes, I think that can be done. :D

I used the dash pad off an earlier Wagoneer, then designed the dash with a center stack to house the stereo, CB, scanner, and A/C controls I wanted.
That is one sexy dash. Where'd you source the curved switch guards? I've been looking for something like that.
Having seller's regret.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Southern Gorilla wrote:
ProTouring442 wrote:Change things up a bit? Hmmm... yes, I think that can be done. :D

That is one sexy dash. Where'd you source the curved switch guards? I've been looking for something like that.

I got them from this guy on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rugged-Stainles ... 2a27ad06e0

Bill

Topic author
Wagonator

Post by Wagonator »

Love it! Where did you get the vents? How are you running the ducting? Did you buy the ABS by the sheet or was is precut for you? Will that be strong enough to hold the weight of everything you want to mount? Your switch idea for the vent controls is ingenious, I will be stealing it if you don't mind. Do you have any plans for the rest of the interior?

Taylor

theonetruegreg

Post by theonetruegreg »

Wagonator wrote:Will that be strong enough to hold the weight of everything you want to mount?
At 1/4" thick, unless he's planning on mounting an anvil to it, it'll be plenty strong

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Wagonator wrote:Love it! Where did you get the vents? How are you running the ducting? Did you buy the ABS by the sheet or was is precut for you? Will that be strong enough to hold the weight of everything you want to mount? Your switch idea for the vent controls is ingenious, I will be stealing it if you don't mind. Do you have any plans for the rest of the interior?

Taylor
I got the ABS in small sheets and cut it to shape myself with a jigsaw.

The vents are Ford pickup truck, and I got them from Ebay (I don't remember the year).

I think the thickness should hold everything with no issues... the radio isn't that heavy, and neither is the scanner. I took the CB apart, and only the face is mounted to the ABS.

The switches do not control the ducts, only all the other stuff (lighting, rear window, etc). The A/C controls, along with the scanner, are mounted in the lower half of the center stack. For some reason, I do not have a picture of this on the computer, but I will get one and post it when we get home from our Thanksgiving festivities.

As for the rest of the interior, there will be a tray connecting the center stack to the GM console. I also have a set of Thunderbird Turbo Coupe seats that will eventually replace the factory front seats. A general upgrading is in the plans, with better sound deadening, etc.

Topic author
Wagonator

Post by Wagonator »

I got the ABS in small sheets and cut it to shape myself with a jigsaw.

The vents are Ford pickup truck, and I got them from Ebay (I don't remember the year).

I think the thickness should hold everything with no issues... the radio isn't that heavy, and neither is the scanner. I took the CB apart, and only the face is mounted to the ABS.

The switches do not control the ducts, only all the other stuff (lighting, rear window, etc). The A/C controls, along with the scanner, are mounted in the lower half of the center stack. For some reason, I do not have a picture of this on the computer, but I will get one and post it when we get home from our Thanksgiving festivities.

As for the rest of the interior, there will be a tray connecting the center stack to the GM console. I also have a set of Thunderbird Turbo Coupe seats that will eventually replace the factory front seats. A general upgrading is in the plans, with better sound deadening, etc.
Sorry, didn't mean to send a barrage of questions. Sounds great, can't wait to see the finished product.

Taylor
Last edited by Wagonator on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Southern Gorilla

Post by Southern Gorilla »

Here's another option for custom vents. And other interior bits.
http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/web ... id=INTVENT
Having seller's regret.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Wagonator wrote:Sorry, didn't mean to send a barrage of questions. Sounds great, can't wait to see the finished product.

Taylor
No apology necessary!! I don't know if you've checked out my build thread, but I've put it all on here so people can get ideas, ask questions, learn, etc. I am always happy to answer a question!

soonerck

Post by soonerck »

I need closure on this project. LOL