Rear mounted fuel tank

Modified FSJ Tech Area

rainman

Re: Rear mounted fuel tank

Post by rainman »

troopthrowback wrote:I picked up a zj tank (23gallons, poly, with steel skid, receiver hitch, and straps) locally and ready to get started with the install. It's going on my 1963 wagoneer with Ford 240 six swap, carbureted. I'll be diving into some research for fuel pressure, gauge setup, etc. as far as fitment it's the same as a late model XJ tank, the width between the rails for the entire setup is a direct fit to the rear rails on the early waggie.

Anybody with details on how to make this swap work are encouraged to post up, I'm a total newbie when it comes to this kind of mod. Mostly I've just welded stuff (and not very well at that!) on my 2001 XJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I installed a ZJ tank in my 87 (along with the engine/transmission). Some pics are here:

http://s145.photobucket.com/user/jaydub ... t=3&page=1

I also modified the ZJ skid plate. Cut the mounting ears off and welded some angle to it to mount it. Used the double ended studs from the ZJ trailer hitch for ease of install. I'll see if I can get some more pics tomorrow in the light.
1987 Grand Wagoneer
5.2L/46RH/NP229/4"/31s/4.56/ARBs
Current FSJ status: Mostly functional...mostly

rainman

Post by rainman »

Added pics of modified oem ZJ skid plate to Photobucket link in previous post.
1987 Grand Wagoneer

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Or you can be different and go with a full size Bronco tank. 33 gallons. Lots of fab work needed, including moving shocks.

1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

troopthrowback

Post by troopthrowback »

rainman wrote:
troopthrowback wrote:I picked up a zj tank (23gallons, poly, with steel skid, receiver hitch, and straps) locally and ready to get started with the install. It's going on my 1963 wagoneer with Ford 240 six swap, carbureted. I'll be diving into some research for fuel pressure, gauge setup, etc. as far as fitment it's the same as a late model XJ tank, the width between the rails for the entire setup is a direct fit to the rear rails on the early waggie.

Anybody with details on how to make this swap work are encouraged to post up, I'm a total newbie when it comes to this kind of mod. Mostly I've just welded stuff (and not very well at that!) on my 2001 XJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I installed a ZJ tank in my 87 (along with the engine/transmission). Some pics are here:

http://s145.photobucket.com/user/jaydub ... t=3&page=1

I also modified the ZJ skid plate. Cut the mounting ears off and welded some angle to it to mount it. Used the double ended studs from the ZJ trailer hitch for ease of install. I'll see if I can get some more pics tomorrow in the light.

Hey thanks a ton. It went together in your photos about how I suspected it would. Great job. My next decision point is:

Use zj sending unit with a pressure regulator added downstream to decrease pressure to 6-7 psi or use stock wagoneer sender/fuel pump and modify the zj orafice to fit the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rainman

Post by rainman »

troopthrowback wrote:Hey thanks a ton. It went together in your photos about how I suspected it would. Great job. My next decision point is:

Use zj sending unit with a pressure regulator added downstream to decrease pressure to 6-7 psi or use stock wagoneer sender/fuel pump and modify the zj orafice to fit the lines.

There's a write-up (likely many) somewhere on the web about bypassing the in-tank pump. iirc it's called the "swampy bypass" or something like that.

Not all ZJs had the pressure regulator in the tank. iirc I6 equipped had the regulator on the engine. Since you're not running FI, it would likely be cheaper to run an external pump.
1987 Grand Wagoneer

troopthrowback

Post by troopthrowback »

rainman wrote:
troopthrowback wrote:Hey thanks a ton. It went together in your photos about how I suspected it would. Great job. My next decision point is:

There's a write-up (likely many) somewhere on the web about bypassing the in-tank pump. iirc it's called the "swampy bypass" or something like that.

Not all ZJs had the pressure regulator in the tank. iirc I6 equipped had the regulator on the engine. Since you're not running FI, it would likely be cheaper to run an external pump.

Thank you. I'll look up that swampy bypass. My Google seems to be rather weak when it comes to fsj. It's killing me cause it used to be very strong with XJ!

troopthrowback

Post by troopthrowback »

Got it!

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/zj_fuel_pump.html

Scallywag

Post by Scallywag »

I am new to this forum and looking for a fuel tank replacement. I like the idea of the zj tank. Will the zj sending unit work with original gauge? Any other mods (sender, connections, ect...) needed to make it work in an 89 GW? Any info on this topic is greatly appreciated as my original tank is about to fall out of the Waggy.

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

so we have my 31 gallon suburban tank in. Just need to finish up hose connections. Did not have to cut anything or relocate any shocks, etc. I will post up some pics this weekend.
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

Nowhereneer

Post by Nowhereneer »

Will the zj sending unit work with factory gauge? Anyone dealt with gauge compatibility? Would like to be as accurate as possible. I like how the zj tank fits in the frame rails. Any help/ideas?
'89 Grand Wagoneer, bought it for $500 bone stock 207k miles, 4" BDS all spring lift, ZJ fuel tank conversion behind axle. Work in progress. :fsj:••$$$

SemperFIGuy

Post by SemperFIGuy »

Well....in my CJ I had to match ohms from sending unit to my new dash gauge, so in my case I used a Ford gauge with matching ohms to my MTS sending unit. That's what sets the gauge to read empty and full. Doesn't really matter what the gauge or sending unit is made for, they don't know or care what vehicle they are in.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Post by 243 »

j10jim wrote:so we have my 31 gallon suburban tank in. Just need to finish up hose connections. Did not have to cut anything or relocate any shocks, etc. I will post up some pics this weekend.
No doubt in a truck, Waggies and Cherokees have a tight ass end.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

243 wrote:
j10jim wrote:so we have my 31 gallon suburban tank in. Just need to finish up hose connections. Did not have to cut anything or relocate any shocks, etc. I will post up some pics this weekend.
No doubt in a truck, Waggies and Cherokees have a tight ass end.
True. But it will be nice to be able to go 300 miles without refueling.
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

Nowhereneer

Post by Nowhereneer »

Nowhereneer wrote:Will the zj sending unit work with factory gauge? Anyone dealt with gauge compatibility? Would like to be as accurate as possible. I like how the zj tank fits in the frame rails. Any help/ideas?
I did some research if anyone else is interested. I found a fuel link gauge interface module that will match any sending unit with any gauge. Available from Tanks Inc. For $136
'89 Grand Wagoneer, bought it for $500 bone stock 207k miles, 4" BDS all spring lift, ZJ fuel tank conversion behind axle. Work in progress. :fsj:••$$$

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

I am also interested to what others with the S-10 Blazer tanks are doing about the gauge sending units?
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

littleblackjeep

Post by littleblackjeep »

@J10jim: Any luck with pics? Is your truck long or short bed, would it matter? Going this route rather than duals I think.

Anyone know if stock mechanical pump has enough to pull from the back?

I'm going to test the ohms on stock '78 sender tonight, anyone have a thought?

I think dual optimas are going where stock tank was.
'95 YJ D-60s/350SBC/SM420/NP231SYE/Coilovers :shock:
'12 JK Rubicon 3" and 35s (wife's daily driver) ;)
'47 CJ2A L-Head (wedding present) :mrgreen:
'78 J10 my daily driver :)
'77 J10 "soon to be" rock crawler :banghead:
'53 M38A1 stock Marine :-bd
'45 MB new to the fleet :evil:

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

littleblackjeep wrote:
Anyone know if stock mechanical pump has enough to pull from the back?
Yes, no problem. My '82 has a 24x24x9 (22.5 gal) aux where the spare usually goes, and the factory pump pulls from it fine.

The sender ohms is in the TSM. 73/23/10 - empty/half/full. This is what your factory gauge will expect.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

I know what the FSJ ohms should be but what are people doing with the S-10 senders to make them read on the factory gauge? In line converter? Resistors? Something else?
-Jonny B.
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI

1979 Wagoneer - Sold

littleblackjeep

Post by littleblackjeep »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:I know what the FSJ ohms should be but what are people doing with the S-10 senders to make them read on the factory gauge? In line converter? Resistors? Something else?
I've been looking last couple days. I'm going to run suburban set up (0-90 ohm GM) and stock sender with an inline converter.

Pics will be in build thread.
'95 YJ D-60s/350SBC/SM420/NP231SYE/Coilovers :shock:
'12 JK Rubicon 3" and 35s (wife's daily driver) ;)
'47 CJ2A L-Head (wedding present) :mrgreen:
'78 J10 my daily driver :)
'77 J10 "soon to be" rock crawler :banghead:
'53 M38A1 stock Marine :-bd
'45 MB new to the fleet :evil:

HeavyMetalThunder_81

littleblackjeep wrote:
HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:I know what the FSJ ohms should be but what are people doing with the S-10 senders to make them read on the factory gauge? In line converter? Resistors? Something else?
I've been looking last couple days. I'm going to run suburban set up (0-90 ohm GM) and stock sender with an inline converter.

Pics will be in build thread.
Where are you going to get your converter? The one posted above is slightly too expensive for my tastes. I have been looking into the late '80s-early '90s Ford Econoline van rear tanks. Their sending units match up with our '73-'85 gauges.
-Jonny B.
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI

1979 Wagoneer - Sold