Rear mounted fuel tank

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Iroc313

Re: Rear mounted fuel tank

Post by Iroc313 »

Also bumping an old thread.

So we are limited to the types of tow hitches we can use if we do a rear mounted tank?

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

If it is a receiver hitch, no. If it is the factory hitch with the diagonal bars, then yes.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Lobie, do you have a write-up of that install? What year tank did you use? How many gallons is it? How is it plumbed? What pump are you running? Did you add/fabricate any cross members?
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

This is an awesome MOD. I need to do this to the Honcho.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Lobie, why did you bail on the E350 tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

So I think I'm gonna go with the XJ tank. Can anyone tell me what the two small holes on top are for?

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Jepht20

Post by Jepht20 »

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Thanks Jepht20. I am gonna try to put in a rollover vent. I guess I'll just weld them up if I get that tank.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

They are vapor vents. So the fuel doesn't get pressurized and soak you, the gas pump, your truck and the person in the next row over with dangerous gas vapors and liquid.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

wewillsurvive

Rear mounted fuel tank

Post by wewillsurvive »

RCI makes a 20 gallon aluminum tig welded street fuel cell with a sender, fill, and three line ports 30x17x7 (l x w x d). My measurements show 32x26x10 being the largest possible not accounting for rubbing. 26 is in between shock mounts. Anyone disagree with my measurements?
Cell
http://www.jegs.com/i/RCI/821/2172A/10002/-1

Strap kit
http://www.jegs.com/i/RCI/821/7515A/10002/-1

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I went with the 19gal F150 tank when I did the LT1 swap. I believe it was from a mid-90's truck. I do wish I had gone to something with a little more range, but didn't want the tank hanging down too far. This one tucks nicely. We did trim a little off the lip on the sides of the tank, but no leak issues. i may change it one of these days.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

EL GRANDE HONCHO

Post by EL GRANDE HONCHO »

Tad wrote:
wewillsurvive wrote:Looing into this, what do you do if you are running a carb?
I simply pulled the in tank pump assembly (it's connected to the sending unit), cut the pump off and extended the pickup tube down to about 1/2" off the bottom of the tank (section of fuel line, 2 hose clamps, short section of 3/8" ID AL tube).
I did go back in to check it last fall when I thought I was having some fuel delivery issues but it was fine and has been fine for over 9 years that way.

if running a carb, can you leave the in-tank fuel pump and block off the mech. fuel pump with a plate? Would this work or would you need to install pressure regulator?

EL GRANDE HONCHO

Post by EL GRANDE HONCHO »

EL GRANDE HONCHO wrote:
Tad wrote:
I simply pulled the in tank pump assembly (it's connected to the sending unit), cut the pump off and extended the pickup tube down to about 1/2" off the bottom of the tank (section of fuel line, 2 hose clamps, short section of 3/8" ID AL tube).
I did go back in to check it last fall when I thought I was having some fuel delivery issues but it was fine and has been fine for over 9 years that way.

if running a carb, can you leave the in-tank fuel pump and block off the mech. fuel pump with a plate? Would this work or would you need to install pressure regulator?
ah...I see its a internal FI pump, so once pressurized can you correct for pressure with regulator? Sorry, I'm not that familiar with Fuel injection systems...

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

I'm doing the suburban 33 gallon tank. Since I had the filler opening closed up before painting the truck I am trying to figure out the best way to mount a filler tube preferable inside the bed. Those of you that have the rear tanks, what did you do? Thanks.
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

derf

Post by derf »

EL GRANDE HONCHO wrote:
Tad wrote:

A block off plate for a big block chevy fits nicely over the stock fuel pump hole in the timing cover.

Fuel injection needs either ~15psi for TBI or 40-60 for port injection. You would need a pressure regulator to drop down to the 4-6psi that a carburetor wants. Preferably a bypass regulator so you get a constant flow of fuel, cooling and lubricating the pump.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

I used a bj's alum tank. Its a good unit though the in tank fuel pump is real real loud. 24 gallons
90 Fsj. 5.3, 4l65,241. 4" lift, Custom valved Bilstien 5125 Shocks, Dakota Digital Dash, Bjs Radiator, Bjs aluminum tank,Viper remote start, power door locks, one touch rear window. Ac, Cruise, tow haul all work as they should. Fully restored oem wheels.

madkarl

Post by madkarl »

What tank straps are people using in their S10 fuel tanks?

I bought this tank: http://www.discountbodyparts.com/catalo ... cid=gglpla

and the straps that came with it won't work.

GaJeep94YJ

Post by GaJeep94YJ »

Spectra ST08. I had the same problem you did. These are several inches longer, but you need two...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

madkarl

Post by madkarl »

Thanks GaJeep94YJ!

troopthrowback

Post by troopthrowback »

I picked up a zj tank (23gallons, poly, with steel skid, receiver hitch, and straps) locally and ready to get started with the install. It's going on my 1963 wagoneer with Ford 240 six swap, carbureted. I'll be diving into some research for fuel pressure, gauge setup, etc. as far as fitment it's the same as a late model XJ tank, the width between the rails for the entire setup is a direct fit to the rear rails on the early waggie.

Anybody with details on how to make this swap work are encouraged to post up, I'm a total newbie when it comes to this kind of mod. Mostly I've just welded stuff (and not very well at that!) on my 2001 XJ.