Why does my wheel bearings keep loosening up? (resolved)

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Re: Why does my wheel bearings keep loosening up?

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

So I take it that I'm the only person who has this problem? Do other people even check?

leadsled01

Post by leadsled01 »

Are you properly packing the grease in them?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I have never had this particular problem and really don't understand why you do Blake. :(
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I have done the bearings on both FSJ's and never had another issue.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

whsii

Post by whsii »

Hello Blake,

I just tightened the front wheel bearings of a new to me 87 GW. I had a bit of extra play in the wheel, only 49K on the rig. Tightened them up and oh what a difference. Before the front brakes seemed to pulsate, and after tightening, the pulsing went away. It took a good bit of wheel free play away.

1000 miles later, the brake pulsing has come back and the free play in the wheel is back like it was before I tightened them the first time.

I had jacked up each wheel, tightened the bearing nut twice to 50lbs, while spinning the wheel, let it off 1/8 turn, etc.

I have done this before on several FSJ's and never had a problem. I will do it again soon, to see if it makes a difference, but I feel I am following the same path you are.

Do you notice a pulse in the brakes?

I will be watching and let you know when I re adjust mine.

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

No, I don't get any type of pulsing in the brakes on either the honcho or the j20.

At least I know I'm not alone! :fsj:

whsii

Post by whsii »

Blake,

I figured that they were warped, before I tightened the wheel nuts. When the pulsating went away after tightening, I figured I was on to something...

I am using a cheep made tool with just four prongs on it. I do see a much better tool that actually has the prongs in-cased inside of a steel ring.

When I was tightening them, I did wonder if the tool was not setting properly and maybe not getting the proper torque to the nut.

Just a thought...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

whsii wrote:Blake,

I figured that they were warped, before I tightened the wheel nuts. When the pulsating went away after tightening, I figured I was on to something...

I am using a cheep made tool with just four prongs on it. I do see a much better tool that actually has the prongs in-cased inside of a steel ring.

When I was tightening them, I did wonder if the tool was not setting properly and maybe not getting the proper torque to the nut.

Just a thought...
Don't forget if you have an extention the torque at the wrench has to change. I forget what it is for X-inches of extension. The tall socket may as well be an extension.
2017 JKU Rubicon

CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

jamesdart wrote:I have had the problem on my cars never really paid much mind to it, with that its just pop the grease cap off and tighten it up, put the pin and cap back on. I did my wagoneer. D44 a year or so ago with timken bearings I know they don't have the best reputation. But I replaced the bearings and races to whatever spec I found online with the stock retaining stuff it's staying nice and tight. I regeared over the winter so went through them then. Ill go over them again in the spring.
Dude what have you been smoking? Timken, "not the best reputation"? Study up before you start giving advice...
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

whsii wrote:Hello Blake,

I just tightened the front wheel bearings of a new to me 87 GW. I had a bit of extra play in the wheel, only 49K on the rig. Tightened them up and oh what a difference. Before the front brakes seemed to pulsate, and after tightening, the pulsing went away. It took a good bit of wheel free play away.

1000 miles later, the brake pulsing has come back and the free play in the wheel is back like it was before I tightened them the first time.

I had jacked up each wheel, tightened the bearing nut twice to 50lbs, while spinning the wheel, let it off 1/8 turn, etc.

I have done this before on several FSJ's and never had a problem. I will do it again soon, to see if it makes a difference, but I feel I am following the same path you are.

Do you notice a pulse in the brakes?

I will be watching and let you know when I re adjust mine.
If you ever re tighten wheel bearing you need to repack them. I know this from experience. I'm not going to go in to all the why's but you just need to. I'm sure someone will disagree, but really, repack..
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

And just for the record,,,,I tighten my spindle nuts with a hammer and a screwdriver. Really,,,if you know how to do it you can do it what a rock and a stick!!
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

From my '81 TSM....

2017 JKU Rubicon

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

I think the torque numbers are higher for a d60. I think he's running a 60.
The timken bearing thing there are guys bitching about them on every forum I go on. They say its not the same timken anymore. Beats me.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

jamesdart wrote:I think the torque numbers are higher for a d60. I think he's running a 60.
The timken bearing thing there are guys bitching about them on every forum I go on. They say its not the same timken anymore. Beats me.
He has a D44 on the J20, and the J10 has a D60. As far as I know the torque is the same. But mostly put it there for the process.

Timken is still American made. There are people that complain about anything and everything. I personally have never had a single issue with Timken parts, and I have them in my J10, in my JK (Has all new gears and bearings), and my Cherokee had them as well.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I think the D60 in the honcho has chinese timken bearings while the J20 has stock made in USA timken bearings (stock as in probably 40 years old). running koyo bearings in the lexus with no issue.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Stuka wrote:Timken is still American made.
I don't think so.
http://www.timken.com/en-us/about/Pages/Locations.aspx
Stuka wrote:There are people that complain about anything and everything.
Agreed

I am one that is NOT happy with modern Timken bearings for a rear D44, that is for sure.
Flint Boardman

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would be money you have knockoff Timkens. Its a big issue, chinese companies sell theirs as Timken. Happens for lots of different products.

Timken has a thing on their site to find actual retailers. And Napa/Autozone/etc are not on their list, at least in my area.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/purchase/pa ... cator.aspx

There is also this site, which is run by Timken, Koyo, and some others: http://stopfakebearings.com
2017 JKU Rubicon

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I am at "whatever" with Timken to be honest. Say what you want as I will. I know people who are replacing FSJ rear D44 axle bearings as often as once a year and most of them are Timken brand. They are not made the way they used to be and I will not buy them again.
Flint Boardman

CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

You might try BCA then, I've used both and have had no problems.
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

derf

Post by derf »

I did a full write up on how I did mine here: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/J-Truck/rotor.html

Basically, use good quality (i.e. Timken) bearings. Torque the inner lock nut (with the pin facing out) slowly to 50 ft-lbs while spinning the hub. Back off 1/8 turn. Put the lock washer in and adjust the nut a little to get to the closest hole. Then torque the outer lock nut down to 50 ft-lbs.

I've done this on 3 D44's and never had a single problem with bearings loosening up.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.