CTO switch Delete? with Edelbrock

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
FlatFourVW

CTO switch Delete? with Edelbrock

Post by FlatFourVW »

I'm finally buttoning up my Edelbrock 1406 with 2131 manifold and Skip White HEI upgrade project in my 75 Wagoneer.

Discovered that coolant is leaking out somewhere near the water neck/thermostat housing once I regasketed, sealed, and reassembled.

I have a brand new cast iron housing on order just in case the current housing is cracked or warped. The currently installed housing is original to the engine.

My actual question is, what do I do with the CTO switch on the housing? Could it be peeping coolant out? Do I put caps on the 3 vacuum line ports? Do I remove the switch and "bung" it? My Jeep does not have to undergo emissions testing, and therefore I removed much of the emissions equipment.
Last edited by FlatFourVW on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: CTO switch Delete? with Edelbrock

Post by Stuka »

If there are no vacuum lines going to it, there is no need for any vacuum caps as no vacuum comes from a CTO, it simply switches the outlets on or off depending on coolant temp. You can find a plug to put in its place (Not hard to find), or thread it in. Its unlikely that its leaking, but it is possible rust has eaten away causing it to leak.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I always pull them and plug the hole for a cleaner look.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
FlatFourVW

Post by FlatFourVW »

Well the good news is that the AutoZone cast iron water neck arrived WITH a bung for that port! All is well again. Thanks for the suggestions.