Anyone swapped in an aftermarket column?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
44bz

Anyone swapped in an aftermarket column?

Post by 44bz »

I really don't like the stock setup in my 68 Gladiator, specifically the upper bell coupling. My stock column has a non-splined end where it attaches to the steering shaft so my options for upgrading are limited. I've been looking at aftermarket columns for universal applications, which would allow me to upgrade that upper joint and maybe get a collapsable shaft in there. These universal columns state they come wired with a GM style harness and plug for lights, horn, etc. Anybody know how well the GM column wiring would match up to the early FSJs?
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

nc wagoneer

Re: Anyone swapped in an aftermarket column?

Post by nc wagoneer »

The big problem with the earlier rigs is that the column has to very slim to fit the hole/notch in the bottom of the dash. The earlier columns were slimmer which is why I have to swap columns when I put in my glad dash.
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

nc wagoneer wrote:The big problem with the earlier rigs is that the column has to very slim to fit the hole/notch in the bottom of the dash. The earlier columns were slimmer which is why I have to swap columns when I put in my glad dash.
I don't think that will be an issue. The aftermarket column I'm looking at is relatively the same size. It's universal, hotrod style. Looks exactly the same and size looks close to my (early) column.

I'm more concerned with wiring it in and just wondering if anyone has any experience. These universal columns come with a wiring harness, which is described as being compatible with most GM wiring. Odds are the Gladiator harness isn't going to slip into the universal column harness and everything work as it should so I imagine I'll be doing some re-wiring...
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

suttonlive

Post by suttonlive »

If you can mechanically put it together I think the wiring wouldn't be too bad. There is only a limited amount of functions that you need from the column. It shouldn't be to bad.

I'm interested to know which one your liking at. I have a 64 that I will need something better than stock.
Suttonlive
'90 Grand Wagoneer - Nice mostly stock DD
'78 Cherokee Chief - 35" 6" Lift 401, TF727, d300 (Not original Drive train)
'76 Wagoneer Stock 360, t400 (Motor pulled. Will rise again)
'76 J-20 Stock LS Swap L92 6.2L, 6l80e, Atlas II
'68 Gladiator 327, 4-speed, survivor
'64 J-200 "FlatTop"Next project. Resto-Mod that me and my daughter work on. "on pause"
'79 Cherokee - Donor '64 j-200 Donor

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

suttonlive wrote:If you can mechanically put it together I think the wiring wouldn't be too bad. There is only a limited amount of functions that you need from the column. It shouldn't be to bad.

I'm interested to know which one your liking at. I have a 64 that I will need something better than stock.
I've been looking at Helix Suspension http://www.helixsuspension.com/

They're local here in Portland. Their website doesn't give too many specifics, but the universal columns are 2" in diameter, which is about the same as our early Gladiators I think (haven't measured, just eyeballed). They come with turn signal lever and hazard knob, and built in wiring harness in black or chrome. I think for about $315. Of course they also carry various ujoint couplings, dash mounts, and firewall mounts.

Irishjeeper

Post by Irishjeeper »

I have not switched mine yet, but talked to a guy who has. He recommends Ididit columns. Says it was a breeze.

The ones I have been investigating is Flaming River columns. Both look pretty good and classic truck guys are using them.
Good luck.

hadaz

Post by hadaz »

Helix shows a column for a 70 Grand Wagoner in the Vehicle specific section. Anything 72 and prior should all the same columns.

husker77

Post by husker77 »

I would steer fairly clear of helix, they are just rebranded aim industries from my understanding. I have purchased from that company before and it was basically nothing but junk. I'm guessing they are using the term "vehicle specific" very loosely.

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

husker77 wrote:I would steer fairly clear of helix, they are just rebranded aim industries from my understanding. I have purchased from that company before and it was basically nothing but junk. I'm guessing they are using the term "vehicle specific" very loosely.
Thanks for posting your experience. I went back and read some reviews, found some that weren't very flattering ~ gear indicator slipping, turn signal cancellation not cancelling. Too bad because I always enjoy buying local. Checking out Flaming River and Ididit now.

Atla

Post by Atla »

The problem is a new column is so freaking expensive.

I wish we could get a 'be all end all' thread together for doing junkyard Steering Column swaps.
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Atla wrote:The problem is a new column is so freaking expensive.

I wish we could get a 'be all end all' thread together for doing junkyard Steering Column swaps.
I don't think we are going to get that.
But...for reference.
I put an '85 column into my '70 wag.
Had to cut the dash (still regret that).
Dash brackets are not the same (welding required).
Plate where it meets body is not the same (cutting and welding).
Throw on the shifter bracket is different between TH400 and 727 (never could resolve that, went floor shifter).

I think it is best to stay within your year range.
'62 - '73
'73 - '79
'80 - '85
86 - '91

There are however different bracketry in the TH400 years.
Some work, some don't, at least in the nix and match area.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

69J3700

Post by 69J3700 »

Not sure about your 68 because Jeep used parts from so many vendors, but the column in my 69 was the same as Ford was using back then, so the GM isn't likely to just connect right up. Shouldn't be hard to adapt, though.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

69J3700 wrote:Not sure about your 68 because Jeep used parts from so many vendors, but the column in my 69 was the same as Ford was using back then, so the GM isn't likely to just connect right up. Shouldn't be hard to adapt, though.
Someone messed with yours, which happens all the time, especially in the pre-73 era.
Our columns were GM bred and true until 1986.
Wiring changed as did some of the bracketry, but they were GM columns.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

I'm just finishing up a refinance on my house and will have a bunch of extra cash so I'm hoping to pick up a new column soon. I have to. I was looking at it again and it's really scary. The square bearings inside the bell coupling are barely seated. I did rebuild the bell coupling with CJ parts, then replaced the ragjoint. I read that there is a difference in length between the manual steering shaft and power steering shaft. Well I have a manual steering shaft bolted to a PS box out of a Kaiser era Wagoneer and I think the shaft is too short....

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

Pulled the trigger on a Flaming River column, Borgeson telescoping shaft, and Borgeson u-joints. The stock column is in ok shape, kinda clunky when cycling through the steering though, and I really want to get rid of that bell coupling. Should have a bulletproof setup in about a week :-bd

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Atla wrote:The problem is a new column is so freaking expensive.

I swapped in a late 70's (circa 78) J 20 steering column into my 66. I posted it on a now defunct site and the pics died with a computer crash several years ago... As long as you have power steering already on your truck, or wagoneer, it should be a low to medium level of difficulty. But I can post up pics of how it looks now and kind of "reverse engineer" it if you'd like.

The collar on the newer steering column needed to be trimmed to fit the dash, and you'll need a new bracket to bolt it onto the dash... I welded my own bracket. You can cut off excess levers and automatic indicators and either body filler it, or fiberglass it if you're running manual steering.

I don't know how it will work if you're going with a "new" automatic column onto an older automatic rig as I haven't done that kind of swap.

Irishjeeper

Post by Irishjeeper »

Do the aftermarket columns really look good or even close to the originals? I would like to get a new column but really like the look of the old original on my j 200.

Problem with mine is, I am switching from three on the tree to an automatic tranny. Would love an old auto column if they are around and they look close to the original.

Atla

Post by Atla »

Hrm....

Being GM made columns, I wonder if we could hit up LMC Truck Catalogs for new made ones? Instead of the super expensive flaming river and such.
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Starlight

Post by Starlight »

Was reading your posts on all the steering column info. Very interesting. I have an `82 J10 automatic, that needs a new column. A friend of mine has an `85 Chev truck he said I could have the column out of, but didn't know if it would work. Sounds like it should. Does anyone disagree with that swap? Thanks.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Starlight wrote:Was reading your posts on all the steering column info. Very interesting. I have an `82 J10 automatic, that needs a new column. A friend of mine has an `85 Chev truck he said I could have the column out of, but didn't know if it would work. Sounds like it should. Does anyone disagree with that swap? Thanks.
You already have a GM column, so all you'd be doing is swapping in the same column for one that will be the wrong length. The same design of GM column in different applications will have different lengths and a different spline count or diameter at the bottom end, I believe.

Are they both tilt columns? Tightening up a tilt column is a common procedure. They loosen up and flop around. You could take parts from the Chevy to repair the Jeep column, if needed.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.