Anyone swapped in an aftermarket column?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Starlight

Re: Anyone swapped in an aftermarket column?

Post by Starlight »

Actually the PO of my truck had cut away a good chunk of the column with a dremel to hot wire it when the ing. switch broke out in the boonies. I've since put in an after market universal switch on the dash in the hole where the cigar lighter once occupied. Would really like to put in a "new" column. I just wanted to know what GM column in install in an 82 J10. If anyone knows what will swap in, let me know.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Starlight wrote:Actually the PO of my truck had cut away a good chunk of the column with a dremel to hot wire it when the ing. switch broke out in the boonies. I've since put in an after market universal switch on the dash in the hole where the cigar lighter once occupied. Would really like to put in a "new" column. I just wanted to know what GM column in install in an 82 J10. If anyone knows what will swap in, let me know.
As tgreese pointed out at the bottom of page 2 you don't want a GM column.
While they use GM parts they are different in several areas.
You also do not want a FSJ column from the 70's, they have a slightly different throw on the shift linkage making it very hard to adjust.
You will want a FSJ coulmn (for an auto I assume) from 81-85.
Might be able to go newer but I think they 86+ ones are different also.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

If it is a 727 tranny, the years that match are 80-85. 86-91 are different with hi beam and wipers controlled from the column.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Starlight

Post by Starlight »

I'm not quite sure what tranny I have, but it will be easy to check it. The truck is an inline 258 6cyl, with an automatic tranny and the high beam switch in on the floor. I really want to put a new column in. It's a little dangerous without a neutral safety switch right now.

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

I have a new column from Flaming River, Borgeson steering shaft, and ujoints sitting on my living room floor waiting to go into my 68. I plan to start working on it this weekend and will take pics of the progress :-bd
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Starlight

Post by Starlight »

cool

Scott2

Post by Scott2 »

I am researching all the posts I can find but still have questions. I have a ‘79 J10 with a stock 360/T18/D20 setup. Swapping in a 2004 Yukon 5.3/4L60e and adapting my D20. My stock steering column has no auto shifter on it and I am trying to figure out what column I should swap in? it may be here in the threads but haven’t found it yet.

Am I just looking for an FSJ auto shift column from the same year or what range of years? Other columns that clearly work?

I was considering using a 70s GM column I have but it looks like that may not be the best bet from the comments above.

I did another LS swap into my ‘51 Chevy truck and used a sweet Flaming River column but I’m trying not to spend $1k on the column.

Thanks!
Scott

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

I did a Flaming River tilt column in my 67 a few years back. I like it. My only complaint is it needed a GM splined steering wheel so I had to use one from a 70s FSJ. Overall its pretty nice though
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.