'77 J-20 401 HEI

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Mean_Green_401

'77 J-20 401 HEI

Post by Mean_Green_401 »

I figured I'd post my findings on something I ran into yesterday.

I have a CRT HEI distributor on my truck. I was at the gas station yesterday and finished fueling. I started the truck and was backing into a parking space. As soon as i came to a stop, the truck died. I saw white smoke coming from under the hood. I opened it up and saw where part of my wire loom fell against the exhaust manifold and melted a wire.

I'm not much on electronics, but it was a wire that went to my starter solenoid on my fender well. I repaired the wire and tried to start it. Nothing, not even a click. I assumed it fried my starter solenoid. I tried to jump the solenoid and the truck just cranked and cranked. I pulled a plug wire and checked for spark, it had none. I pulled the top of my Hei cap and saw where it melted the bottom of the coil, the spring and rubber isolator and rotor button. Everything underneath looked good.

I went to AutoZone and they couldn't tell me what Hei coil would work. The had a Ford and GM one. I went back to the truck, took everything off and went to advance auto and the guy said the GM Hei coil was what i needed. I bought it and the starter solenoid and put it back together. I runs like a top again.

Thought I'd share for someone that may run into this in the future.;)

Sent from the middle of nowhere.