Underhood cooling fan

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
letank

Underhood cooling fan

Post by letank »

Went to purchase a landcruiser... I need comfort.... just kidding... I went to help someone to purchase an all terrain vehicle with a manual transmission.... did not buy it, but found this neat little device which I thought was an underhood cooling fan or heat extraction device, after a little search, it is a carb cooling fan powered by a 30 min timer... apparently it draws little power... but neat to prevent draining the carb. It is on the 70ish to 88 carbureted land cruiser fj60 and fj40 series.

Could be neat to have one to prevent lifting up the hood... and avoid those picts with the hoods up.

from the ih8mud.com

lives on the top right...next to the clutch MC, if you think that FSJ have too much vacuum lines... Toyota beats us with a complexity that is hard to master.

In the end the righteous won, he got an XJ with the 4.0 HO, AX-15, fun to drive, that 5th speed is only an overdrive, no leaks, and it has oil. Need to flush the cooling system, there was 1/4" of slime at the bottom of the cooling expansion tank.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

will e

Re: Underhood cooling fan

Post by will e »

A carb cooling fan? Sounds to me like a expensive band aid. I am going to have to ask my Toyota buddy about this.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

The electric pusher fan mounted in front of the radiator seems like a better system albeit using more juice. The slush box is such a reservoir of heat, that the pusher fan running for 5 min might be the ticket.... raised hood rules.
Michel

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I put a peice of 1" square tubing between the hood and the hinges. It helps it cool down a lot faster with the BB under the hood.

Those FJ's are a trip. I did a Chevy 350 into one recently. The guy bought an OD to go between the bell and the tranny. Worked as a spacer and gave 27% od in all gears and in 4x. I have always wondered if they could build one with the FSJ patten to replace the spacer behind a V8....
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

jaber wrote: Those FJ's are a trip. I did a Chevy 350 into one recently. The guy bought an OD to go between the bell and the tranny. Worked as a spacer and gave 27% od in all gears and in 4x. I have always wondered if they could build one with the FSJ patten to replace the spacer behind a V8....
Curious about that OD!

Went to see an FJ60 with the chevy conversion, and bar'd so it is legal in California, almost no emission, not even AIR system which had me wondered how much was paid to pass the smog... had a 4 barrel holley.... and 34, with the 4 speed manual... $9k was the asking , but too many little issues for the person I was helping.
Michel

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Here's that unit installed on a 62 Willys Wagon. It's his dads ride, he restored it for his dad and installed the overdrive... He said it was the best mod he'd done.

Here's the shifter mechanism... I think.

I'd love one on the 66, or the 62... Too rich for my blood and pocket book, but I'd still love one!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I highly doubt that little fan would move enough air to be of any use at all. Would be far better off with a cowl induction hood. Or like jabber did, add some spacers.

The Ranger over drive is pretty cool. Especially in older jeeps that have super deep gearing.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

That's pretty neat. Sounds like the kind of mod I'd try.

If you build a shroud around the carb and a cold air intake for the fan, it could work very well, otherwise it's not going to do much. Carburetors mainly cool themselves with the air flowing through them while running. The other plan is getting the heat out from under the hood.

Honestly hot soak fuel boil is the only complaint I have about carburetors...and Oxygenated Ethanol gas.

It gets really bad when you're traveling across the desert in 100+ degree heat and the carburetor starts to boil even when running. Downshifting to get more CFM flowing through it helps a little, but a cold air intake is the only way. First sign of an overheating carburetor is hesitation off the line, because the accelerator pump shot vaporizes as it passes through the small passages before it even reaches the throttle bores. As things heat up worse, the engine will lean out, overheat, ping, lose power, and eventually start cutting out and backfiring.

You can run all the insulating carb spacers and heat shields you want, but after about 1/2 inch, more doesn't make any difference. It just delays the inevitable, because even the air surrounding the carb is enough to overheat it. It's 100 degrees outside, the A/C condenser raises that to 140, and the radiator raises that to at least 200. The hot engine block can take that up to 300 very quickly. Eventually the heat will soak into the carburetor.

The only way to completely solve hot fuel issues is fuel injection. Pressurizing the fuel raises the boiling point.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.