Stage 8 locking spindle nuts. Installed!

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Stage 8 locking spindle nuts. Installed!

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I probably should have taken some pics, but there really isn't much to take pics of...

Installed some Stage 8 locking spindle nuts on the front of both FSJ's today. Both Jeeps had a problem with the stock drivers side spindle nuts coming loose. Hopefully no more.

Both sets fit PERFECT! The J10 has a D60 while the waggy has a HP D44, both full width, both SOA. :D

The only 'gothca' I found was the J10 was running some Mile Marker MM hubs that require a big spring between the spindle nut and the lockout hub. That big spring was rubbing the new locking spindle nut assembly and causing a clicking noise. I think a smaller diameter spring would have solved that problem. I have a spare front D60 that had some Warn lockout which don't use that spring (Warn's is internal to the lockout), so I installed the Warn's. I've had a problem with breaking the MM hubs anyway. Maybe the Warns will work out better, I dunno.... I also have a set of the 'good' stock Spicer D60 hubs, but they are worn out and sometimes try to engage when unlocked. I'm keeping them as trail spares.

The waggy already had Warn D44 lockout hubs, so the installation was a breeze. I discovered that one of the Warn lockouts was broken, so I got Oreily's to warranty them :D

I got em from Stephen over at http://offroaddesign.com/ I ran the UA2011 with him and think he is a great guy. Good to 'wheel and work with. Both pairs of spindle nuts were $260 shipped.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Stage 8 locking spindle nuts. Installed!

Post by Stuka »

Interested to see how they work out for you. The passenger side one on my J10 likes to loosen up. I have had to deal with it a couple of times over the years. Have yet to figure out why, everything on it "looks" ok.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Re: Stage 8 locking spindle nuts. Installed!

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Stephen over at ORD seemed to think a lot of them. He even said that he no longer carries a spindle nut socket when he 'wheels ever since he started using the Stage 8 locking spindle nuts. They simply don't back off. All you really need is a screw driver to thread the nut on/off. You still need a set of snap ring pliers to make the job easy, but I bet a flat head screw driver would work for everything.

The funny thing is they look almost exactly like stock Toyota Landcruiser nuts/cages.