6 lug d44 front to 8 lug...

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
MT1

6 lug d44 front to 8 lug...

Post by MT1 »

I was just given a 14 bolt ff with 4:11's in it. I was thinking about doing the disc brake conversion on it as well as shaving the bottom off. In thinking a bit forward I will also have to re gear the front, do the high steer thing as well as get 8 lugs on the front. Looking through a few searches it looks doable and fairly basic.I believe my 44 is a 77 Chevy so is there any differences in the years or makes as far as the hubs fitting? Id like to get this all dialed in asap as I have a 454 on its way that I would like to run in the FSJ. Thanks for any help in advance. Anything that could be a stumbling block in any of these mods?
Last edited by MT1 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Change is Opportunity

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 6 lug d44 front to 8 lug...

Post by Stuka »

All you need are the outers from a D44 HD. Jeep and GM outers are identical. I *think* ford outers will work, but I do not know for sure.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Thanks, you make this sound too easy. :D
Change is Opportunity

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Ford's won't work unless you use the entire knuckle/spindle/rotor/brakes/hub/etc.

By far the easiest thing to do is get a complete D44 from a Chevy (or ford, depending on transfer case drop) and bolt that in SOA.

This way the width matches up with the rear. Then you gotta think about stuff like wheels/lug pattern and a high steer knuckle to match the SOA.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Blake wrote:Ford's won't work unless you use the entire knuckle/spindle/rotor/brakes/hub/etc.

By far the easiest thing to do is get a complete D44 from a Chevy (or ford, depending on transfer case drop) and bolt that in SOA.

This way the width matches up with the rear. Then you gotta think about stuff like wheels/lug pattern and a high steer knuckle to match the SOA.
He already is SOA with a GM axle. He actually has a lengthened K5 frame under his Cherokee.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Thanks Stuka... I kinda find it easier not mentioning that every time but probably should. LOL I still have the goofy J arm GM steering that I am anxious to get rid of and get this thing handling like it should. The problem is doing all this on a shoe string budget. Im lucky in that I can do 99% of it myself along with some very talented friends.

Guess I should consider the lack of an E brake if I go with the rear disc conversion. Any one here ever run or set up hydraulic brake line locks as a substitution for the mechanical E brake? If so can you make one valve lock both the front and rear for extra holding. Seems something like that could be pretty cool for winching and towing on the trailer? Thanks again for the response. :-bd
Change is Opportunity

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Not street legal though. There are calipers with Ebrake cables on them. Also check out Dodge brakes. Should be the same as GM till late '80s except the calipers IIRC.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I've ran a line lock on the rear of the Honcho for 2 years now. It was required to have some sort of e-brake when I did the Ultimate Adventure. It works great and has never given me any trouble. I press the brakes, flip the switch and then let go of the brake pedal. It keeps pressure on the rear disks.

I use it when airing up, connecting a trailer, etc. It won't really hold the truck on any type of hill, but works great for keeping it stationary on a relatively flat surface. I suppose that running two line locks front/rear would work better...

It's mounted inside of the driver side rear frame rail, in line with the stock brake line. I just cut the brake line and made some flares.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

carnuck wrote:Not street legal though. There are calipers with Ebrake cables on them. Also check out Dodge brakes. Should be the same as GM till late '80s except the calipers IIRC.
Sure they are. Nothing illegal about having a line lock. And it will qualify as an e-brake for states that test them in their annual inspections.

EDIT: It does have to be DOT approved. Not all are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

They don't pass here in WA. They failed a whole fleet of tow trucks that relied on them alone after someone was killed when one popped and drifted into a crowd.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

carnuck wrote:They don't pass here in WA. They failed a whole fleet of tow trucks that relied on them alone after someone was killed when one popped and drifted into a crowd.
Thing is, cable operated ones can fail too. That's why most state regulations also say the vehicle needs to be in park/gear as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

This is the California code on emergency brake systems... if the leak was at the master cylinder no problem... if it was at the wheel cylinder, well? What do ya think legal or not? Heck just missed it in that mine is registered in 74. :banghead:

V C Section 26301.5 Emergency Brake System
Emergency Brake System

26301.5. Every passenger vehicle manufactured and first registered after January 1, 1973, except motorcycles, shall be equipped with an emergency brake system so constructed that rupture or leakage-type failure of any single pressure component of the service brake system, except structural failures of the brake master cylinder body or effectiveness indicator body, shall not result in complete loss of function of the vehicle’s brakes when force on the brake pedal is continued.

Added Ch. 1110, Stats. 1971. Operative May 3, 1972.

I also use this site from time to time... a few down from the top is the brake system. Nice thing about this site is its quick, basic, and you can find what the laws are in your state by toggling on the state in alphabetical order at the upper right and left corners of the page. Thanks guys for the help and direction :-bd
http://www.liftlaws.com/california_lift_laws.htm

It looks like the Cadillac has a combination caliper unit with the manual E-brake built into it. At the same time it sounds like they are not the best in the E-brake mode. Maybe a line lock and manual E-Brake is in order to be legal and actually work?
Change is Opportunity