Trying to figure out TRANS/TRANSFER-CASE

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
pratty85

Trying to figure out TRANS/TRANSFER-CASE

Post by pratty85 »

Hello all, I bought a new DD today, its a 1983 Cherokee Chief, runs and drives with a 190k miles, and has tiny amounts of corrosion. It has an AMC 360 V8 (all orignal) with a 4 speed manual. I thought it might have a T18 in it, but I crawled under it and saw that the transmission was painted originally green? I got all the numbers I could see off it, and I also noticed it has a New Process transfer case.

Trans #'s C-2604203(casting#) and the tag had TTCC 29, 5352086 It looks like a top loader....NOTE(1st gear is not a granny gear)

Transfer case #C-13685(casting#) 80

I was wondering if someone could help me find out what trans/transfer-case combo is in this thing and if it is original?
64 Kaiser Wagoneer 2dr
83 Cherokee Chief

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Trying to figure out TRANS/TRANSFER-CASE

Post by Stuka »

From the factory an 80+ Cherokee/Wagoneer/J10 with a manual will have a T176 transmission and an NP208 t-case. The trans is a medium duty all aluminum close ratio transmission. Only real known issue is popping out of second when engine braking (synchro wears fast on second for whatever reason) and the shifter itself wears fast to where it will shift past 1st and 3rd when it gets bad.

The t-case is a very durable unit that has no common issues outside of normal wear. Chain can stretch and bearings can wear. Be sure yours has ATF in it, they came with motor oil from the factory that caused them to wear too fast. It was later changed to ATF.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Good looking Cherokee, congrats! I have never seen that style AC unit under the dash. It must have come sans AC from the factory.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
pratty85

Post by pratty85 »

Stuka wrote:From the factory an 80+ Cherokee/Wagoneer/J10 with a manual will have a T176 transmission and an NP208 t-case. The trans is a medium duty all aluminum close ratio transmission. Only real known issue is popping out of second when engine braking (synchro wears fast on second for whatever reason) and the shifter itself wears fast to where it will shift past 1st and 3rd when it gets bad.

The t-case is a very durable unit that has no common issues outside of normal wear. Chain can stretch and bearings can wear. Be sure yours has ATF in it, they came with motor oil from the factory that caused them to wear too fast. It was later changed to ATF.

Thanks for the info! The trans doesn't look aluminum but I will take a closer look tomorrow, I also noticed that there is, what appears to be an adapter between the bell housing and transmission, approx 3.5". Any Idea what that is? I can take a picture.

The transmission shifts great and is very tight! I am happy with it so far!
64 Kaiser Wagoneer 2dr
83 Cherokee Chief

Topic author
pratty85

Post by pratty85 »

fulsizjeep wrote:Good looking Cherokee, congrats! I have never seen that style AC unit under the dash. It must have come sans AC from the factory.

Thanks! I will look at it tomorrow and see what brand it is, its nice and tucked up compared to others I have seen, and it blows cold!!
64 Kaiser Wagoneer 2dr
83 Cherokee Chief

Tin Medic

Post by Tin Medic »

That looks like a T176 shifter.
89 GW 360/727/208 (soon to be LQ9/727/208) MSD 8523 Pro Billet Distributor, MSD 8207 Blaster SS Coil, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs

"I don't always downshift, but when I do its next to a Prius so the driver can hear me hurt the environment."

Jeeps don't break down, they're just extremely demanding when they need parts replaced!

Jeep Owner

derf

Post by derf »

pratty85 wrote:
Stuka wrote:From the factory an 80+ Cherokee/Wagoneer/J10 with a manual will have a T176 transmission and an NP208 t-case. The trans is a medium duty all aluminum close ratio transmission. Only real known issue is popping out of second when engine braking (synchro wears fast on second for whatever reason) and the shifter itself wears fast to where it will shift past 1st and 3rd when it gets bad.

Thanks for the info! The trans doesn't look aluminum but I will take a closer look tomorrow, I also noticed that there is, what appears to be an adapter between the bell housing and transmission, approx 3.5". Any Idea what that is? I can take a picture.

If I recall correctly, Jeep put an adapter between the V8 and the transmission so that it would end up in the same place as it would if it was behind a straight 6.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

derf wrote:
pratty85 wrote:

If I recall correctly, Jeep put an adapter between the V8 and the transmission so that it would end up in the same place as it would if it was behind a straight 6.
Yup, this was true for any of the manuals behind V8's. There was a spacer behind the i6 when used with a T15/T18a, but it was very short. With the T176 there is no spacer between the bell and trans.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
pratty85

Post by pratty85 »

Mine definitely has a spacer....
64 Kaiser Wagoneer 2dr
83 Cherokee Chief

Topic author
pratty85

Post by pratty85 »

So what do I have?
64 Kaiser Wagoneer 2dr
83 Cherokee Chief

jeep ranch

Post by jeep ranch »

pratty85 wrote:So what do I have?
looks like the factory configuration from that pic

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

pratty85 wrote:So what do I have?
Looks like a T176 with the factory spacer that is used with V8's. Manuals in 80+ rigs only used an NP208 for the t-case, so thats a given.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
pratty85

Post by pratty85 »

Thanks! I appreciate the help! Second question, does anyone think this would be a decent transmission to run with a 4bt or not? Of course using appropriate bell housing, clutch, etc....All I will be doing is some mild offroading now and then and using it as a DD. I have a local contact that just got in 20 4bts....
64 Kaiser Wagoneer 2dr
83 Cherokee Chief

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The V8 version would not be ideal due to the longer input shaft. It will push the transmission back quite a bit compared to the i6 version.

I think it would hold up ok. They are not known to be super strong, but they are not prone to breaking either. But it should be somewhat easy to find a bell to work with it.

Although if it was me, I would want to find an overdrive transmission for a diesel, since they are very RPM limited. An NV4500 would be awesome, but not cheap either.
2017 JKU Rubicon

derf

Post by derf »

It may work, if you can find the right bell housing to go with it.

But if I was doing the swap I'd look for a 12v Cummins Ram truck in the bone yard and grab the NV4500 with the 241DHD or NP271 that's behind it. I don't know if the bellhousing is compatible between the 6BT and the 4BT but on the off chance it isn't you can find one that will work.

If I swap a 4BT into Truck Norris that's what I plan on doing.
W0JPR

Topic author
pratty85

Post by pratty85 »

I am going to do some measuring as soon as this rain goes away. I would like to run a NV4500 so I would have an additional gear. But I am going to be putting a 6" with 35's on this rig. There isn't a tag on the axle so I am not sure what my gear ratio is, but if I go to a 35" tall tire will it help me with an rpm limited motor? I am guessing I have 3:50's....ish. not certain at all. I do know that 4:10's with a 35" tall tire is the equivalent of having close to 31" tall tires actual.
64 Kaiser Wagoneer 2dr
83 Cherokee Chief

derf

Post by derf »

pratty85 wrote:I am going to do some measuring as soon as this rain goes away. I would like to run a NV4500 so I would have an additional gear. But I am going to be putting a 6" with 35's on this rig. There isn't a tag on the axle so I am not sure what my gear ratio is, but if I go to a 35" tall tire will it help me with an rpm limited motor? I am guessing I have 3:50's....ish. not certain at all. I do know that 4:10's with a 35" tall tire is the equivalent of having close to 31" tall tires actual.
There's a really good gear ratio calculator out there that would answer your gearing questions. :idea:

But yeah, 4.10 gears with 35's would put you at about 1950 RPM at 65 which is about where you would want to be.
W0JPR

Topic author
pratty85

Post by pratty85 »

Would a T18 be a better transmission? I know mine needs some work, so I started looking around and found a T-18 with transfer case out of a 77-78 wagoneer. I thought if I could find something to swap in without much hastle, I could rebuild the trans and T-case I find, and just swap them out, that way I could Upgrade at the same time.

By the way I can't believe this thing doesn't use any oil.....The motor is good enough to get some more life, but all my leaks are in the trans output shaft and the transfer case.

What are the thoughts?
64 Kaiser Wagoneer 2dr
83 Cherokee Chief

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The transmission would work, but the transfer case will be the wrong drop. 79 and older are passenger drop, 80 and later are driver drop. So you would have to switch front axles. And no your current t-case would not work on a 79 and older T18a without an adapter.

The T18a is a great transmission. And it was offered in 80+ J20's, but its not a very common setup. And would require new front and rear drive shafts.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
pratty85

Post by pratty85 »

Good to know! I have a ton to learn obviously....Bit by bit.
64 Kaiser Wagoneer 2dr
83 Cherokee Chief