Gas Tank Option

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
snowshoe

Gas Tank Option

Post by snowshoe »

Any one have experience installing a suburban gas tank in their FSJ ???
Last edited by snowshoe on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProTouring442

Re: Gas Tank Option

Post by ProTouring442 »

I will be installing a 42 gallon Suburban tank shortly...

The tank is quite deep, and will hang down a good bit if installed with no modifications to the vehicle (Wagoneer). I plan on raising the floor behind the rear seat to make the tank sit higher.

Topic author
snowshoe

Post by snowshoe »

I was really hoping some one would put up pictures from the side of their jeep so I can see just how low this tank is.

I have a 4" lift and a trailer hitch. Really need to see a picture before I pull the triger.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

snowshoe wrote:I was really hoping some one would put up pictures from the side of their jeep so I can see just how low this tank is.

I have a 4" lift and a trailer hitch. Really need to see a picture before I pull the triger.
If you search IFSJA's site, there should be pictures up there. If not, I'll post some pics of the tank jacked into place sans floor modifications to give you an idea. I don't know If I'll get to it tomorrow or Thursday though.

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Are there any larger options in the stock location?
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Topic author
snowshoe

Post by snowshoe »

ProTouring442 wrote:
snowshoe wrote:I was really hoping some one would put up pictures from the side of their jeep so I can see just how low this tank is.

If you search IFSJA's site, there should be pictures up there. If not, I'll post some pics of the tank jacked into place sans floor modifications to give you an idea. I don't know If I'll get to it tomorrow or Thursday though.
Please send your pictures and indicate how much tank is inside floor...

Most of the pictures at IFSJ showing a 42 gal tank installed were wiped out when the "mothership" crashed,

localfiend

Post by localfiend »

Saw you posted this here as well, so here's a copy of my post from IFSJA just in case it crashes and burns for good.

Ah, didn't realize the 40 gallon tanks were different. Got me curious so I went and pulled the tank out of my junk 1996 suburban.

You'll have to use your imagination some, as some support pieces that were "lovingly" welded into place by the previous owner are in the way.

The tank is about 31" side to side, 36" front to back, and 14" tall measuring from the highest ridges. Frame is 5" high. I have a bit of a body lift, so that's going to help me out some.

My truck is a 7' bed by the way, but it'll fit rotated 90 degrees with about 1/2" to spare. Perfect fit. Don't know how the old Gladiators compare to the newer trucks and Wagoneers though.
2001 Jeep Wrangler
4.0 I6
AW4 Trans Swap
4.88 Gears
35x12.5x15" BFG AT KO's

1966 Jeep Gladiator
Chevy 350
T90
Dana 20
Dana 44's Front & Rear
Soon to have a HD44, 14 Bolt, SM465, NP205

Build: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 698#p22698

Topic author
snowshoe

Post by snowshoe »

Thanks for your responce....

I can picture what you doing....should work fine in your J-Truck....

My 79 W/T frame is a bit different and the 94-99 burb tank is 1" thinner than your earilier 40 gal burb tank...

Every 1" counts :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ....LOL

Rick

jeep ranch

Post by jeep ranch »

put one in the 67 Kiaser J3000 when I put the diesel in, works well.
Last edited by jeep ranch on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

localfiend

Post by localfiend »

Just to make things clear here as well as IFSJA. I don't think my tank is an early 40 gallon tank. Not unless it was retrofitted in later. That tank came out of a 1994 Suburban. Perhaps in changed mid year?
2001 Jeep Wrangler
4.0 I6
AW4 Trans Swap
4.88 Gears
35x12.5x15" BFG AT KO's

1966 Jeep Gladiator
Chevy 350
T90
Dana 20
Dana 44's Front & Rear

lindel

Post by lindel »

I never made any actual measurements, but a '03 Silverado 33 gal tank looks like it might fit. A 26 gal tank from a short-bed Silverado would be even closer.
Lindel

Topic author
snowshoe

Post by snowshoe »

We are looking for gas tanks that fit between the frame rails where the spare tire goes.

The silvrado tanks are saddle mounted inside the frame rail between the rear axle and the cab.

Topic author
snowshoe

Post by snowshoe »

Well I decided to bite the bullet and orderd a 42 gal tank.

I guess the only way I'm going to figure this out is to take a stab at it myself.

Thanks for your pic's Local...

I will make sure I take pictures of what I encounter.

Topic author
snowshoe

Post by snowshoe »

I just discovered a great write up and pictuers of a 42 gal install by a member, at the mother ship, "budojeepr"

I'm going to move the cross member over the axle forward just enough to get the tank in.

At least I think that will work....

Topic author
snowshoe

Post by snowshoe »

Well I have removed the crossmember over the axle....Just waiting for the 42 gal tank I ordered.

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

I am looking for ideas for my J10/20 (shortbed). I was thinking suburban tank, so am waiting for you to get done :)
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

Topic author
snowshoe

Post by snowshoe »

Hey J10jim,

I'm installing my 42 Gal "burb" tank in a 79 Cherokee Wide/Track...which is quite a bit different.

The frame is narrower and shorter in the rear than your "J".

You could get better advice from "localfreind" (posted pictures of his J truck above) and "Protouring442"

I would love to post all of my buid pictures here if I could master the process...I seem to get confussed easily...lol

budojeepr

Post by budojeepr »

snowshoe wrote:I just discovered a great write up and pictuers of a 42 gal install by a member, at the mother ship, "budojeepr"

Hi, FYI I've decided not to go with the 42-gal version. Hangs too low and is too tight to the exhaust. Somewhere on this site is a thread about tank options with links to a 20-gal Blazer II option. I'm going to go that route instead.

Topic author
snowshoe

Post by snowshoe »

I understand....It's posible that I may go back that way....I already have a new 20 gal tank with new pump.

I just wanted more range for when I'm up in the mountains or on long road trips up north.

But I got to find out just how much this tank will really hang down.

Unfortuately, those who have made the 42 gal. (and there are a few out there) have not responded to any of my reqwest for pictures.

So...I have to go to the expense of figuring it out for myself...oh well I do things right...not have assed...so it's worth it.

localfiend

Post by localfiend »

I can see the hanging too low being an issue on a dedicated trail rig, but for the street and mild trail use I don't see there being a problem. As far as exhaust being to close, I just don't plan on running the exhaust all the way to the rear. I have true dual exhaust, and It'l end up getting dumped behind the cab, or perhaps out the sides.
2001 Jeep Wrangler
4.0 I6
AW4 Trans Swap
4.88 Gears
35x12.5x15" BFG AT KO's

1966 Jeep Gladiator
Chevy 350
T90
Dana 20
Dana 44's Front & Rear