17" OEM wheels that fit our rigs?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

17" OEM wheels that fit our rigs?

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I have a 80 NT Wag. Are there any OEM wheels from other makes/models in 17" that fit our rigs without wheel spacers? Looking to run 33" equivalent wheels on a 6" lift. FJ wheels? H3 wheels? all too much backspace?
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Re: 17" OEM wheels that fit our rigs?

Post by RamJetFSJ »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-10-CHEVY-CHE ... 89&vxp=mtr

Not sure if these are the spare tires from a chevy or something, but I think a set of these would look pretty cool on a FSJ trail rig...

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I guess the problem would be they are hub centric wheels, which would mean there would need to be a ring machined to center them. Might be more work than its worth...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The other issue is that newer GM's and Toyota's use a metric stud size. Which may not be an issue depending on how different thy are. Pretty sure they are larger than our 7/16" studs. So you would need a lug nut that can seat on the larger hole, but use our smaller studs.

Hub centric is better provided the hub size is the same.

Oh, the other issue is the large backspacing newer vehicles use. Most of them are in the 6" range. So you would have to run spacers or WT axles. And thats assuming they clear our knuckles.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

husker77

Post by husker77 »

Mazda b trucks have the same pattern as fsj's and lots of guys run navigator and hummer wheels. I think the difference in the circle diameter is 4.7 mm. I don't remember how they make them fit, will do some searching.

You still have to deal with the backspacing, unless you rally liked the look of one of the stock rims or could get the rims for cheap or free you would probably just be ahead to buy custom 17" rims if that's what you want.

husker77

Post by husker77 »

h3's have the same pattern 6 x 5.5 pattern, the center hole is 4".

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

i almost bought a set of those black steel gm 17s. i was going to run the rubicon mud terrains on them, but the backspace was too much.

Ristow

Post by Ristow »

looks like they take acorn nuts to me. which means not hub centric. i've never seen a hub centric wheel on a passenger car/truck.

the center hole is way too small,and the backspacing is positive offset,so no go there.
It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ristow wrote:looks like they take acorn nuts to me. which means not hub centric. i've never seen a hub centric wheel on a passenger car/truck.

the center hole is way too small,and the backspacing is positive offset,so no go there.
Really? Every car made in the last 20 years that I have pulled wheels from is hub centric. Yes they use acorn nuts, but the hub is a very tight fit inside the wheel. Actually had to push some to get my JK's factory wheels to seat. Lug centric wheels are very rare these days. I actually have some on my JK now and I hate them. I had to by adapter rings to go around the hub to make them center up better. Otherwise they caused vibrations that no amount of wheel balancing would fix. The spacers got rid of it almost entirely.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Ristow

Post by Ristow »

we have hub centric wheels on the big trucks. real hub centric. the lug nuts are flat backed. they merely hold the wheel to the hub.

i see my definition of hub centric,compared to the big trucks is a bit off tho. here's a decent article on it.

http://tires.about.com/od/understanding ... wheels.htm

the hub centric wheels we have are a hassle. we made tapered long tubes,threaded on the inside,to use to first center the wheel (via the lug studs,surprise!) before the first few lug nuts are tightened,otherwise the wheels are not centered,and they wear prematurely.
It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...