Edelbrock 2131 gasket conundrum

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
FlatFourVW

Edelbrock 2131 gasket conundrum

Post by FlatFourVW »

Since IFSJA is down and searching cached Google results is not helping, I will ask "live" here.

I was given an Edelbrock 2131 Performer intake manifold by one of my students and sent it off to Napa for cleaning and machining.

What I'm hoping to find out here is exactly what gasket(s) I need to install this used intake onto my 360, since the underside of the manifold already has a metal lifter valley heat shield baffle attached. Did I hear correctly that this causes interference?

Do I need a valley pan gasket set (with or w/o using the end seals?)?
Do I need the long gaskets that go around the ports?
What do I need!?!?! :-?

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Edelbrock 2131 gasket conundrum

Post by Stuka »

You want to use the valley pan gasket. You do not need the line port gaskets if you use this, it takes place of that. It will also come with the rubber gaskets for the front and rear of the intake. Some people don't use these and instead just use RTV. However, if you clean the block and intake with enamel reducer or the like (And then do not touch those spots) the rubber will no leak. Then you just use a little bit of black RTV on the ends.

Its fine to use the heat shield with the valley pan gasket. You do need to press down pretty good to get the bolts started, but it will work fine.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jeepguy77

Post by jeepguy77 »

When I replaced mine, my buddy sprayed the valley pan with copper spray gasket and let it tack a bit, and then installed it. We also put a bit of rtv around the water passages, and I used just rtv on the end rails instead of the rubber gaskets.
Pierce,
77 J10 360 4bbl, T18, D20, HEI, Holley carb, Performer intake, Thumpr Cam, headman headers, dual exhaust, auburn limited slip, hydroboost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vRyBFqnx0

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

jeepguy77 wrote:When I replaced mine, my buddy sprayed the valley pan with copper spray gasket and let it tack a bit, and then installed it. We also put a bit of rtv around the water passages, and I used just rtv on the end rails instead of the rubber gaskets.
I also used copper coat on the valley pan and RTV around the water jackets.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
FlatFourVW

Post by FlatFourVW »

You all rock. Thank you for clear answers!!!!

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Stuka wrote:I also used copper coat on the valley pan and RTV around the water jackets.
Ditto here as well. I also have good luck with the rubber end strips when the contact surfaces are cleaned with reducer, thinner, acetone or the like.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

lindel

Post by lindel »

As another option, Mr. Gasket sells a "standard" intake manifold set. I've used it a few times, always with good results. Still use RTV for the front and rear seals, but always good results.

Available from Jegs and Summit Racing.
Lindel

Mdcptman

Post by Mdcptman »

I used the valley pan, and Black RTV for the ends. just make sure u do a prefit to see how much gap you have on the ends, then make your bead size accordingly. Good Luck!
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
Rusty's 2" Add-a-Leaf kit
31 x 10.5 LT15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:
"You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Topic author
FlatFourVW

Post by FlatFourVW »

I ended up using a Fel-pro MS-96001 valley pan set. We sealed the ports, used the end seals, and built up sealant in the corners near the end seals. We didn't use copper coat, which I hope will not affect anything. Thanks so much!