SOA with Chevy front leafs??

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
REDONE

SOA with Chevy front leafs??

Post by REDONE »

It's etched in my memory that using stock-height pre-88 Chevy 1/2ton springs on an FSJ spring-over-axle mod gets one close to 4" of lift over stock. I cannot find the source of this memory! Now that I've tossed some money at it, I'm hoping I'm not misremembering :o

Does anyone know who's done this? Especially if anyone's got pics!
I picked up a NOS set of pre-88 K10 springs (1200lb) off the CL for cheap because I remembered that tidbit (P/N#22-400, still primered from the OEM supplier in Troy, MI). Currently my front suspension is 4" dropped spring mounts on the frame with stupid-long shackles hanging down like idiot-flags below my front bumper. I've been meaning to do better for quite some time ( SOA as well as shackle reversal) but life dictated I just park it for a few years instead.

Now that I'm getting back at it, I'm trying to fill in the gaps in info. I probably won't get to this before Ouray and that's ok because it actually rides really nice the way it is. Even so, it's obviously not a forever solution and definitely nothing to brag about the way it is, haha!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

orionstarsin

Re: SOA with Chevy front leafs??

Post by orionstarsin »

I noticed the chevy springs had way less arch to them when i swapped in my 10 bolt in the front. I used the jeep springs but thought i could do an add a leaf with the chevy springs but they were wider springs than my j10 so I didnt.