Help!!! Rear sway (panhard?) bar

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Hud

Help!!! Rear sway (panhard?) bar

Post by Hud »

Desperate for help! Ok putting a lift on Grand Wag and am in the last steps. To make a long story short, I had to take loose the rear sway bar to line up the axle with the springs. Now I can’t get the sway bar to line up to save me. I’ve done everything I can think of. It’s about a quarter inch from lining up. I’ve tried tie down straps hammers everything I can think of, any suggestions for help to get this back on?

SJTD

Re: Help!!! Rear sway (panhard?) bar

Post by SJTD »

If you lift it that bar has to be longer or the hole moved. If you force it into place you'll put a side load on the springs.

I would file the hole until it fit then weld a tight fitting washer on each side of the mount to, in effect, make a new hole in the right place. Of course you would want to make sure it's sitting level for this. Probably should drive it a bit first in case it wants to settle.

Or just leave it off.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Thats the track bar. You are fine with removing it entirely. If you tow regularly, you can get a track bar extension bracket and hook it back up. But if you don't ever tow, you are unlikely to need it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Hud

Post by Hud »

Thanks Stuka, I’ve also posted on several Jeep sites and the various answers were interesting. It frustrates me when I can’t figure something out for myself. I panicked wanting to have it done by the time my daughter got home. It’s off by maybe 1/4 to 1/8 inch getting it to line up. I finiallly just zip tied it out of the way and figured someone on here could help! Thank you sir!

Topic author
Hud

Post by Hud »

SJTD, thanks for the response! I think I shall try your suggestion and if that fails I’ll toss it in my neighbors yard! Lol

acct21

Post by acct21 »

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Track-Bar-Rel ... _1381.html

The best $33 you'll spend trying to get that thing lined up again.
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)