Completed dash swaps?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Nikkormat

Completed dash swaps?

Post by Nikkormat »

Hey folks, has anyone actually finished a complete dash swap in there FSJ?

I'm a bit interested in putting a late model XJ dash in my J10, along with the 4.0, computer, and complete harness. And I know a few have started the same project but I can't find any that were actually finished...
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Phils67

Re: Completed dash swaps?

Post by Phils67 »

Not sure if the dash will fit. XJ interiors are a bit narrower than FSJs. I did the 4.0 swap with OBD2 computer and a rear mounted TJ fuel tank and used Dakota Digital gauges. It was super easy to get the gauges all working correctly. Maybe took me like 2-3hrs total to hook it all up and kept my original dash. Are you planning on using the XJ transmission as well? I kept my T18 but it took alot of trial and error to get the bell housing spaced properly and a hydraulic clutch system that worked. Any questions about the swap feel free to ask.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'm planning to use an AX15 at this point. Or a late Dodge gas nv4500 and an adapter to the T176 Bell I have. What kind of issue did you run into with the hydraulic release on your T18? Was your truck old enough to be hydraulic from the factory?

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Mine originally had a bell crank clutch. Basically I used a single pot brake master and a CJ7 slave. I have a T176 bellhousing with a home made 1.8" thick steel spacer and Novak adjustable throwout bearing using a standard 4.0 clutch and pilot bushing. Also using the Hesco crank sensor relocation that puts it to the front of the crank pulley instead of in the bellhousing. Everything was easy except the throwout bearing. I had the trans in and out 13 times in one day when I did it just to get it perfect
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

If I had to do it again I would have went with either an AW4 or the AX15 with the toyota(<blasphemy?) lower first gear

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Phils67 wrote:If I had to do it again I would have went with either an AW4 or the AX15 with the toyota(<blasphemy?) lower first gear
The NV3550 has a 4.01:1 first gear vs the 3.83:1 in the AX15. Not sure if that's low enough to meet your needs, but that's about the same as first in the close ratio T-18s and T-19s. I've been pretty happy with my setup, and everything from the TJ bolted right in, clutch and all.

edit: The newer NSG370 six speed has a 4.46:1 first, and should be reasonably easy to get a hold of these days.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Cecil14 wrote:
Phils67 wrote:If I had to do it again I would have went with either an AW4 or the AX15 with the toyota(<blasphemy?) lower first gear
The NV3550 has a 4.01:1 first gear vs the 3.83:1 in the AX15. Not sure if that's low enough to meet your needs, but that's about the same as first in the close ratio T-18s and T-19s. I've been pretty happy with my setup, and everything from the TJ bolted right in, clutch and all.

edit: The newer NSG370 six speed has a 4.46:1 first, and should be reasonably easy to get a hold of these days.

aa
I have the 6.32 first gear so getting something anywhere even close to that would be a requirement but so is the thought of having an overdrive. 6 in one half dozen in the other really. There is no inexpensive happy medium to my knowledge. I would want to keep as low of a first gear as possible and still get the extra gear. The T-case would have to compensate for the low range difference. In my case I am just regearing the axles and changing tire size to something slightly more streetable while maintaining stump puller status

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

The only OD trans with anything anywhere near 6:1 for first is the early NV4500s. I thought I would miss it in my truck, too, but I do not. Not even when towing, honestly. It's just too deep, it makes the spread to 2nd-3rd-4th horrible.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

I feel like we got off topic on Nikkormat's thread so apologies on my end. If you need dash measurements I can measure my Comanche's dash for you vs a FSJ dash. They are parked side by side in the driveway right now and the overall width is really noticeable. The MJ dash width is the same as a XJ of any year. I am not saying it can't be done, but it will leave a gap on both sides. In my opinion using Dakota Digital gauges is the easiest and least aggravating way to do a 4.0 swap though. Early XJ/MJ dash would look more at home than 97-01 XJ dash will. FYI 1990 MJ is 55" and 1967 FSJ is 58". Hope that helps.

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Don't know what year you have but a simple 1896+ dash is a good swap. Gets you integrated heat and ac controls and the ability to have heat and defrost at the same time. Also the guages are much better than the early ones. Have to change out the column and wiring but it's not too hard. I swapped in a dash from a 86 j20 into my 83 cherokee and it wasn't too bad
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Phils67 wrote:I feel like we got off topic on Nikkormat's thread so apologies on my end. If you need dash measurements I can measure my Comanche's dash for you vs a FSJ dash. They are parked side by side in the driveway right now and the overall width is really noticeable. The MJ dash width is the same as a XJ of any year. I am not saying it can't be done, but it will leave a gap on both sides. In my opinion using Dakota Digital gauges is the easiest and least aggravating way to do a 4.0 swap though. Early XJ/MJ dash would look more at home than 97-01 XJ dash will. FYI 1990 MJ is 55" and 1967 FSJ is 58". Hope that helps.

Thanks! That was helpful. 3" isn't too different! I may investigate a bit further. But I do also have a complete donor 89 Wagoneer to take a dash And harness from.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

What year XJ is the donor? One thing to take into consideration is things behind the XJ dash may be tight. The wiper transmission is external on them as opposed to ours being internal but you could attempt to retrofit the XJ wiper system under the cowl. Having intermittent wipers from the swap would be a cool upgrade if you have a 2 speed like I do. Also I would have to measure where the steering column goes to see if it would line up even close, I can do that later when it gets light out. If you go with the 97-01 dash I would say use the column from the donor as well being they have a fat airbag steering wheel cutout. The windshield has to be removed to take the FSJ dash out, at least on early models, not sure if later models bolt up the same way. That may affect windshield sealing if that metal isn't there but I could be wrong since I have never attempted it myself. You'll have a good amount of fab work ahead of you if you go the XJ dash route. Do you have a donor vehicle already? What year is your FSJ? If you do the 4.0 swap only I can help with wiring since I have years of time into wiring mine correctly with this swap. Its easier to use only the wiring required for the engine and PCM and retain as much original wiring you can. Just piggyback the two harnesses

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

The J10 is a 74 and I have a few options for donor vehicles, there's two wrecked 2000 Xjs here locally I could pick up for cheap...

The other issue I didn't consider when I was looking at swapping in the late model XJ dash is that I won't be running the stock PCM for very long. Eventually I'm going to have to replace it with something capable of fuel and timing control under boost. At some point the truck will be getting turbo'ed.

So I think the late model Grand Wagoneer dash will be the easiest choice for getting better hvac and wiring.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

You can have the XJ pcm flashed or use a tuner for the OBD2 when you turbo it. The Wag dash is probably the cheapest easiest route. Thats what I would do. And simplify it with the Dakota Digital gauge set. The price is intimidating but drop the coin on it and you won't be disappointed. I absolutely love mine.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I haven't found any DIY ways to reflash a JTEC PCM, there are reflash tools for the 05-06 wranglers. And allegedly Gale Banks can tune a JTEC... But I wouldn't want to retune one for a boosted application anyway. Not enough room in the memory of the PCM to store more complex fuel tables so you end up comprising resolution. In fewer words, it would run like butt. When I turbo my XJ I'll use an AEM piggyback and a 7th injector but id like to avoid doing that on the J10 if I can.

I'll either build a Megasquirt and a harness, or buy a holley sniper 2bbl. They're set up to accept boost in a blow through configuration, which would give a bice liquid intercooling affect too.