Lowering my 1986 Grand Wagoneer

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
VG1

Lowering my 1986 Grand Wagoneer

Post by VG1 »

I'm new to the Jeep world but not a rookie at building cars/trucks. I got this 1986 GW from my nephew a few months back. He is young and can jump in and out of it fine. I'm old and not trying to make it harder than it needs to be to get in and out. This is going to be my overland/camping rig. The majority of the time it will be riding on the highway to get to out camping spots. Most of the time we are in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on logging trails and unimproved 2 tracks.

As it sits right now my suspension is as follows:
SOA front & rear
Shackle drops on front & Rear
Possible Add-a-Leaf on the rear

It's a beast but is a little more than I'm looking for. My plan so far is to get it back to just SOA, then put on some new factory height springs. It's currently running 35's and has a set of 4.10 gears I'll be using. I'm looking at BJ's for the crossover/highsteer setup. Debating on hydroboost and rear disks. Trying to keep my build in the 10-15k range. I want it to be as safe as I can make it as it will be carrying people very important to me. Not looking to cut corners on this one.

Some of my questions so far.

Does old man emu make a set of springs for the FSJ?
What springs would give me the best ride for highway use if OME doesn't make springs?
Is the hydroboost upgrade worth it? (I've read great points in favor and against)
Is 75mph out of the question with the 35's and 4.10's?

That's all I can think of off hand. Thanks for any help or advice in advance!

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Lowering my 1986 Grand Wagoneer

Post by Stuka »

Old man emu does not make anything for FSJ's.

Any photos of the current setup?

You can buy stock height springs from places like Hell Creek Suspension and BJ's Offroad. Hydroboost does greatly increase braking capability, but I have found the dual diaphragm booster that you have now to be quite adequate as far as brake boosting goes. You can always put on rear disc brakes, or better pads and rotors.

75mph with those tires and gears and your stock TF727 would result in roughly 3150rpm.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

The lowest SOA setup is still going to be pretty tall... How much lower are you looking to be?

Hydro boost is definetaly worth it!
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

babywag

Post by babywag »

RamJetFSJ wrote:The lowest SOA setup is still going to be pretty tall... How much lower are you looking to be?

Hydro boost is definetaly worth it!
X1000
With 35" tires hydroboost is a huge improvement over standard booster.
If you're not towing a lot I'd skip the rear discs.
Not much improvement with them vs. good drum brakes.
Honestly wish I had never swapped to rear discs.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
VG1

Post by VG1 »

Thanks for all the replies. 3150 RPM isn't that bad but I'd like it a little lower. If it were one of my aircooled VW's it would be perfect. I'll be hauling a very small teardrop trailer (less than 1500lbs). I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics on here. I'll look through the stickies and see what I can come up with.

Topic author
VG1

Post by VG1 »

Topic author
VG1

Post by VG1 »

I still haven't figured out how to post pictures. I got to play with the jeep this weekend. So many things I want to change on it, just trying to figure out where to start. I took pics of the lift to try to identify what all parts are thrown together to make it. The front looks like it has 1/2 inch blocks, shims and a shackle drop. I took measurements from the floor to the top of the fender opening. It's 42 3/4 in Front and 43 in Rear. Anyone have any numbers from their rig I can compare it too?

I'm thinking the first thing I will tackle is steering. Going with the Reid Racing Crossover Steering Kit and the left side knuckle to complete the high steer setup. I'm also getting new sway bar bushings and disconnects. That should be a good start for parts collecting. I don't expect this Jeep will hit the road until Summer of 2020. At least that's my goal. Until then it's just collecting parts.