Suspension lift and body lift combination 81' Waggoner

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Concretesurfer

Suspension lift and body lift combination 81' Waggoner

Post by Concretesurfer »

This will be the first of many posts sure to come. Im planning on doing some upgrades to a 81' waggy. It's completely stock so my first upgrade will be to get her lifted off the ground. Ive purchased a rough country 3" lift kit with new front springs... couldn't pass up a good deal! It came with only front springs, so my first question is, should I purchase new one's or have the original one's modified? I also picked up a set of 33x12.50x 15. Aluminum rims and wrangler duratracs. Not quite sure if a 3" lift will suffice so what would be a viable option? Im concidering a 2" body lift or the new body mounts with 1" lift . Ive also concidered doing a shakle flip? What combination would work best without scrapping the 3" suspension lift and going to the 6". Your input would greatly be appreciated.
Last edited by Concretesurfer on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Concretesurfer

Re: Suspension lift and body lift combination 81' Waggoner

Post by Concretesurfer »

I made mistake on this post... the lift kit came with "front" springs not rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I moved this thread to Modified Tech, as its more of a question.

Wagoneers have really tiny fender openings, so fitting a 12.50 wide 33 does take quite a bit more lift than on a WT, or if a 33x10.50 is used. I am personally very against body lifts because of their downsides, but it would let your tires fit.

There are also people that trim the fenders. Which can be done well to where it looks factory.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Concretesurfer

Post by Concretesurfer »

Thank you for the quick response. Im so greatful I found your website. At this point Im probably going with the 3" suspension lift (paid less then $400 for kit with shocks and new front springs. Replacing body mounts with the 1" lift and cutting the fender wells due to existing rust. What manufacturer would you recommend for the body mounts. Greatly appreciated.Thanks