Novak vs BJ's LS Motor Mounts

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
irondawg

Novak vs BJ's LS Motor Mounts

Post by irondawg »

I'm in the process of a restomod on my 1978 Chief WT. I've begun sourcing parts and have already bought a low mileage 5.3 from a 2014 Suburban with all the computers, wiring harnesses, throttle, and accessories. I've got the front clip off the Chief and about to pull the old motor/tranny. I've been researching what motor mounts to use and found there are two available, the Novak setup and BJ's. Novak requires cutting out the old mm and welding in the new ones...no problem. BJ's keeps the old mm and new ones bolt on.

Is there a difference?

The LS I have has the exhaust exiting the back so that should not be a problem either way. I'm leaning towards BJ's as to keep the frame as stock as possible. I plan on keeping the old motor/tranny if I ever want to swap back...but seriously doubt it.

Thanks in advance.
1978 Cherokee Chief WT in a thousand pieces
Previous Jeep: 2001 Grand Cherokee

derf

Re: Novak vs BJ's LS Motor Mounts

Post by derf »

Novak gives you a lot of flexibility in exactly where you want to place your engine. And when you're doing something where you really want to customize it a lot, they're great.

Lots of people have swapped LS motors into FSJs. Lots of people have figured out pretty much the best location for the engine in the engine bay. If you're not wanting to do anything really custom with the rest of your drivetrain, there's no reason not to use the BJs mounts. They bolt in. They work. They let you get on with the rest of your swap. Factory frame mounts are plenty strong for a basic 5.3.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

As an aside, when you post, just ignore the mySQL errors and know your post has almost certainly gone through. You can open another window and hit the forum to check that. You do not need to refresh or go back and try again, that's what causes the double posts.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

80Limited

Post by 80Limited »

If you’re handy with fabbing just make your own and save money.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

Thanks for the info.

I'm still debating on a 4L65E or 6L80E with a 241C transfer case w/passenger drop. I've read a lot of build threads and I'm leaning on the 6L80E more and more as it will fit with minimal fab to cross member and the engine I have had that tranny. Only reason I didn't get it cause it was sold before I picked up the engine. I figure it'll be easier having the same tranny so the harness and computers play nice.

If BJ's mounts have some flexibility, I'll most likely go with those.
1978 Cherokee Chief WT in a thousand pieces
Previous Jeep: 2001 Grand Cherokee