Cherokee Wide Track Body Modification

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
icaerus

Cherokee Wide Track Body Modification

Post by icaerus »

Hello all- I've got a 75 cherokee chief project going and I've just finished the drive train/engine. So now it's on to the body work. I have WT fenders in the front and I've purchased BJ's fiberglass flares for the back. Here's the rub... it's NT in the rear. I've seen the thread for this work on someone's waggy but nothing on the cherokee. I'm really hoping someone has either done this before and has some suggestions OR someone with a WT can help out and send me every measurement ever so I can do this correctly. It would be really amazing if someone had a rear WT fender cutout that I could borrow to make a template. I realize it's a lot of modification to the inner fender but I'm not timid. Let me know what you know! Thanks.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Cherokee Wide Track Body Modification

Post by Stuka »

Its less work to make the conversion on a 2dr than on a 4dr. Since you don't have to worry about the door.

BUT... as I recall BJ's flares are just the flare, and not the inner wheel well. This is where most of the work is. Most of the people that do the conversion get the whole flare and wheel well assembly cut from another Jeep.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Agree with Stuka. A 2dr body would be much easier to wide track than a 4dr as you don't have to mess with the door. Just the wheel well opening and maybe the inner wheel well. My son did a WT conversion on his Wagoneer. While time consuming, it wasn't terribly difficult.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yes, the inner tub is the same but the outer tub is the one that needs cut. If it were me, I'd use the glass fender flare as the template and transfer the mark to the outside of the wall [make sure not to remove too much material]. Cut out the template from the outside. Then remove the Outer tub on that same side that the template was cut. With the fender well and tub removed, perfect the fit of the glass flare. Once the flare fits correctly, build the outer tub to match the template and Inner tub. Note: the Outer tub seam is welded to the fender. Keep test fitting the glass flare as you mesh the tub and fender together.
Last edited by rocklaurence on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
icaerus

Post by icaerus »

Thanks. I've laid out what (I think) is the correct spacing. I guess I'll creep up on it like rocklaurence said and then make a cardboard template for the other side. There's a lot of extra glass on the fenders so tracing it out is very difficult. It would great to find someone who has their flares cut out to make a template. I'll do my best to make measurements and draw up a printable template once I'm done. I can't be the only one tempted.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

No, your not the only one. I've been toying with the idea forever. Only thing Im not decided on is weather to cut the rear door for the Flare to fit or cut the Flare and mount it to the un-cut door.

Gadzooks2

Post by Gadzooks2 »

Are the BJ's flares still available?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Gadzooks2 wrote:Are the BJ's flares still available?
Yes, but they re fiber glass, not steel: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Widetrack-Fen ... p_192.html
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ