Updating brakes

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Updating brakes

Post by ScottsMojo »

So I'm gathering parts to upgrade my brakes. Vac booster from an 89 vintage Wag and last week I picked up a new MC for an 89 as well. Looking at the MC on my 74, it appears that the reservior closest to the booster is the rear, and the other is the front. Is that correct?

Looking at the 89 MC, this appears to be the other way around, reservior closest to the booster is the front? Am I looking at this correctly? :-?

rstep

Re: Updating brakes

Post by rstep »

That is correct.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, larger reservoir feeds the front brakes. Are you switching to the dual diaphragm booster as well?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Stuka wrote:Yeah, larger reservoir feeds the front brakes. Are you switching to the dual diaphragm booster as well?
Sir, that is correct! The stock booster is suspect to a vacuum leak and with 35's its time to improve the binders.

Are the lines a direct fit, other than re-orienting the position?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Its been a while, but I recall them being different. I may be wrong there, but worth checking before hand.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Thats the next task, validating line ends.

But, sitting here thinking about it I think its time to go ahead and refurb the entire brake system. Does anyone have a preference/good experience regarding brake pads and shoes? I will get new HD rotors and drums, rebuild kit for the front calipers (is that a good idea or should I just get new calipers?) and new wheel cylinders and hardware kits. I will review hard line condition once the system is opened up and deal with that accordingly.

Now, the magical question is this... Why are proportioning valves (stock replacement) not available retail?

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Just my .02, but for the price of replacing the rear drums and parts, you could upgrade to rear discs.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

jaber wrote:Just my .02, but for the price of replacing the rear drums and parts, you could upgrade to rear discs.
Yea, I have been condemplating that but I haven't got my head around whats needed to do it right.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I decided hydroboost brake upgrade a long time ago. Especially after having a 5 ton truck with a ripper from a D9 cat on the back stall on a 10% grade.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

jeepguy77

Post by jeepguy77 »

carnuck wrote:I decided hydroboost brake upgrade a long time ago. Especially after having a 5 ton truck with a ripper from a D9 cat on the back stall on a 10% grade.
Hydroboost was probably the best upgrade I have done, and it sure stops. When I first installed them, I had to get used to how touchy the brakes were it was almost like i was gonna go through the windshield. :mrgreen:
Pierce,
77 J10 360 4bbl, T18, D20, HEI, Holley carb, Performer intake, Thumpr Cam, headman headers, dual exhaust, auburn limited slip, hydroboost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vRyBFqnx0

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

jeepguy77 wrote:
carnuck wrote:I decided hydroboost brake upgrade a long time ago. Especially after having a 5 ton truck with a ripper from a D9 cat on the back stall on a 10% grade.
Hydroboost was probably the best upgrade I have done, and it sure stops. When I first installed them, I had to get used to how touchy the brakes were it was almost like i was gonna go through the windshield. :mrgreen:
There is no doubt that the hydroboost upgrade is a good one. But as it stands, with the dual diaphragm brake booster I am happy with the brake power. That's not to say that the HB upgrade isn't in future plans, its just not in my immediate plans.