Moderate Cam

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Bryon

Moderate Cam

Post by Bryon »

I bought an 89 GW a month ago and the PO rebuilt the engine, bored it over .030 and installed a moderate cam. He also rebuilt the transmission to handle up to 800 lbs of torque and 500 hp.
What are the advantages of a moderate cam, and is there anything that I should keep my eye on?

Cecil14

Re: Moderate Cam

Post by Cecil14 »

Without knowing the specs on the cam, moderate is a pretty relative term and doesn't really mean anything. Different cam profiles will have different effects: some will move the power band up or down in the RPM range, some will widen or narrow the power band, some will focus on one area of the power band, etc.

Rule of thumb: don't trust anything someone else did or said they did (looking at your trans rebuild specs right now). That's not to say they did anything wrong, but you'll always be better off erring on the side of caution and not making assumptions. If it didn't come with a warranty, put no faith in it (and even if it does anymore).

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank