torque converter clutch switch.

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Austin4x4

torque converter clutch switch.

Post by Austin4x4 »

ok here is a little problem i have been trying to figure out. for my transmission, 4l60e, the transmission needs a constant 12v power signal, to lock up the torque converter. that signal needs to be shut off when the brake is applied. my brake switch, '73 j4000, is just the opposite no power and then 12V when the brake is applied. so how should i wire this? i was thinking i should be able to use a relay i just need to find the right one. thanks again, Austin.

FSJ Guy

Re: torque converter clutch switch.

Post by FSJ Guy »

Yup. Relay would do it.

Are you using a stand alone contoller or the GM PCM to run it? IIRC, the PCM has a a brake switch input, doesn't it?
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

transmission controll is integrated into my stand alone engine PCM. it has an input, that input needs to be 12V and then shut off when the brake is applied.

Kenne

Post by Kenne »

get a brake switch for a vehicle with CC.

or a clutch pedal switch for a vehicle that needs the clutch depressed to start.
"Kelly, a tiger has only one weak point, and that's it's ass. You gotta hit it point blank and you gotta hit it from behind!"

derf

Post by derf »

For my 700R4 swap I bought a brake light switch that has two switches inside it. There's the regular normally open brake light switch. Then it has a normally closed switch that you route power to the transmission through. When you hit the brakes the normally open switch closes, turning on the brake lights. The normally closed switch opens, cutting power to the transmission. I just went to the parts store and asked for a brake light switch for an 80's 1/2 ton Chevy pickup.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

derf wrote:For my 700R4 swap I bought a brake light switch that has two switches inside it. There's the regular normally open brake light switch. Then it has a normally closed switch that you route power to the transmission through. When you hit the brakes the normally open switch closes, turning on the brake lights. The normally closed switch opens, cutting power to the transmission. I just went to the parts store and asked for a brake light switch for an 80's 1/2 ton Chevy pickup.
X2

Just get a brake light switch from a 88 chevy with cruise control. It has 4 prongs. two of which are 'on' when you press the brake and two of which are 'off' when you press the brake.

Another option is a vacuum switch wired into a relay. This way the TC is always locked until the vacuum reaches XXX, then it's unlocked. Lots of vacuum switch on cars at the yards.

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

ok figuered it out. i am just going to use a standerd five prong relay. power goes through the relay when the ignition is on. when i press the brake switch it closed the relay and cuts power. i may eventualy upgrade the brake switch but, for now this was the simpliest solution.