What front springs???

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
OilFiElD_TrAsH

What front springs???

Post by OilFiElD_TrAsH »

I'm doing a 1 ton swap with some cucv axles. The rear going to be linked and the front will remain on leafs. I will be running 40in iroks. Obviously it will be SOA I dont want to run chevy 63s due to axle wrap. I was thinking of either getting some military wrapped 54in chevy springs or putting a AAL in the rear spring packs and running them up front. I just want something that will flex better then the 4in lift springs that are on it now. Pictures suggestions please.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: What front springs???

Post by Stuka »

Running spring that are longer than stock doesn't really work unless you are pushing the front spring mount forward, or you happen to find some springs with an offset center pin to keep the axle in the same place. The axle can only move a forward a tiny bit before the pitman arm will contact the tie rod. Full hydro would fix this obviously.

Ideally you want flat springs up front for the best flex. Especially if you have coils in back. As trying to balance the articulation front to rear with leaves in front, and coils in back can be tough. You can end up with the back flexing more than the front, to where the back has to hit the bump stops before the front really starts to move. Most people on hear link the front, and leave the rear with leaves.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
OilFiElD_TrAsH

Re: What front springs???

Post by OilFiElD_TrAsH »

I'm going with some heavy duty Crown S-3319 XJ rear leafs. They have an offset center pin and hopefully will hold up to the weight.