aftermarket temp gauge not working

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
skunkape87

aftermarket temp gauge not working

Post by skunkape87 »

my 87 GW came with a aftermarket temp/oil pressure gauge already installed. The oil pressure gauge works fine other than dropping some oil onto my floor. but the temp gauge just stopped working a few days ago. i wasnt thinking and bought a water temp sending unit from the parts store and didnt think that the stock part would not work with an aftermarket gauge. My problem is the aftermarket gauge has no name brand or anything on it. it has a braided stainless wire that goes to the stock sensor position. I can't seem to find any sending units that look like the one that is installed. Hell i dont even know if thats the problem. just wanted to see if any of you guys had some suggestions for me to try out thanks

tgreese

Re: aftermarket temp gauge not working

Post by tgreese »

If it does not have a regular wire, then it's a mechanical temperature gauge. Inside the braided connection is a tube that connects the sender to the gauge. Look up "Bourdon tube." A fluid in the sender (usually alcohol?) heats up and makes vapor pressure that goes to the Bourdon tube and moves the needle. They cannot be separated.

Try removing th gauge and sender as a unit and dunking the sender in boiling water. If the gauge does not move, it's kaput.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.