Excessive e-brake pedal travel

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Excessive e-brake pedal travel

Post by sonoraed »

At the tail end of a 5 year build of my 79 J10, brake system is Astrovan hydroboost/front disc brakes stock config with Wilwood calipers/rear brakes are stock drum,both axles D44, because we went with 2.5" dual exhaust with an X couldn't use the stock e-brake cables, went with 89 S10 cables from backing plates to mid frame with a 2 to 1 bracket and stock front cable/pedal asy, new drums/shoes/harware.
problem is I have 2" of cable travel with rear brake fully adjusted but e-brake pedal only pulls about 1 inch, everything looks right but pedal goes to floor and barely holds, I talked to the guys at Custom Cables they sell cables and pedal/handbrake mechanisms they say 1" of travel is the norm, I'm missing something but don't know what!
Wouldn't mind going with rear disc brakes but don't want the Caddy style Calipers I've worked on too many cars with that style and the brake pedal travel is almost always excessive, would like to find a setup with internal park brake shoes,I see rear disc swaps with internal shoes for newer cj/tj style but not FSJ's.

lkmarsh

Re: Excessive e-brake pedal travel

Post by lkmarsh »

If the S10 cables are longer than the stock cables you need a shorter intermediate cable. Cables should stay slightly tight with the e-brake released, not sagging. Also, 2:1 bracket is a bit much. Mine is closer to 5:4. Went through this when I swapped in a 73
axle into my 69. Bought a shorter intermediate cable from Dorman. Rear disc calipers need periodic e-brake adjustments same as drums. Otherwise the pedal travel just gets longer. C3 Corvettes used an e-brake system like you described, later models use a one-piece horseshoe brake shoe.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

lkmarsh wrote:If the S10 cables are longer than the stock cables you need a shorter intermediate cable. Cables should stay slightly tight with the e-brake released, not sagging. Also, 2:1 bracket is a bit much. Mine is closer to 5:4. Went through this when I swapped in a 73
axle into my 69. Bought a shorter intermediate cable from Dorman. Rear disc calipers need periodic e-brake adjustments same as drums. Otherwise the pedal travel just gets longer. C3 Corvettes used an e-brake system like you described, later models use a one-piece horseshoe brake shoe.
The S10 cables fit well the pass side now runs over the diff to the drivers side and runs parallel to a bracket that allows the two cable ends to connect to the primary cable that goes to the park brake pedal.
It seems to me the travel of pedal/cable is dictated by mechanisms inside the drum, although the drums/shoes/hardware is new the park brake is oem and they worked before the truck was taken apart, so maybe the new shoes are a little different??

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Thanks for clarifying the cable installation, now i understand the 2 to 1 bracket is not a lever. And I think you are right
about cables not changing the pedal travel, all else being equal. I would pull the drums and have someone slowly set the
parking brake while you watch the shoes and the new cables. Happy Hunting!
Lyle
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

lkmarsh wrote:Thanks for clarifying the cable installation, now i understand the 2 to 1 bracket is not a lever. And I think you are right
about cables not changing the pedal travel, all else being equal. I would pull the drums and have someone slowly set the
parking brake while you watch the shoes and the new cables. Happy Hunting!
Think your right I have the old shoes and park brake worked when truck was taken apart,raining today in central california good time to fool around with weird problems, if I don't find anything a lever might be a good idea!

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

I mentioned Corvette rear brakes because I'm looking for this same setup for my Chevelle and I already have the rotors.
98 and later Camaros and Firebirds, also Explorers and some Mopars used internal parking brakes. A day off and good
weather and I'll have to go check out the wrecking yard for a donor for my 69. My Wags did not have the lever when I got them.
The FSM shows one, so I made one. It bolts to the trans cross member and probably gets knocked off by the first rock driven over.
Without its leverage the park pedal was just too stiff to use. Plans include ditching the pedal for a hand lever.
Here is a link to something I found on eBay. -lyle

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-8-8-REAR- ... 4902.l9144
Lyle
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

:banghead: I thought I looked at all the rear disc internal p-brake solutions have to check out the vette also first time I've seen mentioned the Explorer might fit the 9" Ford Diff, the Dana 44 in my truck is seeping where the tube slides into the carrier and really ought to be pulled out and welded or replaced on the other hand I'd like to drive this truck while I still have a drivers license!!

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Just occurred to me the problem might be the way the old parking brake cables were laid out. meaning the bracket at the trans crossmember is a fulcrum
that decreases the amount of secondary brake cable travel to the primary brake pedal cable