Chrysler 318 into a 87 wagoneer

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Beh woody

Chrysler 318 into a 87 wagoneer

Post by Beh woody »

Hey guys, newbie here.
I’m refurbishing a grand wagoneer that has a blown AMC 360. Trying to get a rebuilt or replacement amc anything seems like pulling teeth. I’ve considered all kinds of options, Chevy swap, dump the money into the amc I have, etc.
I do happen to have access to a wrecked 95 Grand Cherokee with a good 5.2 that is free. My question, has anyone attempted to adapt one of these to the amc patterned TF727? Or, could I get a Mopar patterned TF727 and simply bolt that behind it (assuming that would mate to my t-case). Thoughts anyone?

BCRAWLER

Re: Chrysler 318 into a 87 wagoneer

Post by BCRAWLER »

I would be tempted to bypass this idea. Had an 93 Grand and the engine management system has a big issue. on the 93 the voltage regulator is part of the main computer. Jump start somebody wrong and new computer. If you could find a new different alternator and a set up to run engine management chores you can stand a chance.Somebody on here may have knowledge if 95 same. Your best bet is 5.3. Check on here to see what is involved. That would be the way I would go depending on what is up with the 360.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Herk

Post by Herk »

You would use the Mopar transmission case with the Jeep rear adapter and possibly output shaft (or just use the GC transfer case). The pre-OBD2 Mopar JTEC engine management system isn't super engine swap friendly. There's ways around that. Don't forget that there was a 5.9 version of that 5.2, and they should both be cheap and plentiful.

Topic author
Beh woody

Post by Beh woody »

The 360 had a bad thrust bearing...previous owner ran it that way quite a while and wore a DEEP 3/16ish sized groove in the crank, allowing it to move enough to start rubbing on the main caps. Engine has 100k on it, so I wouldn’t put it back in without doing everything, which I’m finding on an AMC is quite spendy.

bigun

Post by bigun »

I have a 84 D-250 that had a 318 in it, while it did okay it did seem to be under powered. BlackBart and I dropped a 440 in it! WOW!! Now if I could fix the oil pressure problem with out removing it!

will e

Post by will e »

Beh woody wrote:The 360 had a bad thrust bearing...previous owner ran it that way quite a while and wore a DEEP 3/16ish sized groove in the crank, allowing it to move enough to start rubbing on the main caps. Engine has 100k on it, so I wouldn’t put it back in without doing everything, which I’m finding on an AMC is quite spendy.
Not compared to an engine swap! And welcome to the forum!

An engine swap will include, among other things:
Engine mount swap. (Either purchased or fabricated)
Transmission mount swap (Either purchased or fabricated)
Some custom linkages for throttle, transmission and transfer case.
Custom exhaust
New or resized drive shafts
Electrical
Adapters for either the transmission or transfer case, unless you bring over the entire package.
radiator, hoses, shroud.
Possible fabrication to the heater core or brake booster area.
Here in Arizona I would also have to deal with emissions. The visual inspection expects an A.I.R pump system.

Then you get to spend time working out the gremlins.

I, myself, might go this route if my AMC gives up the ghost on me. I would go with the Vortec. Lot's of aftermarket support for the swap. And a lot of good info on this board as well.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Search Rainman's threads on IFSJA. He did a later OBDII style. Durangos also have these engines, but watch out for the 4.7s that are out there.

Edit: Here is his thread with pic links. He also used a 95 Grand---http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=79083

That said, I'd be tempted to do early magnum to skip the electronic style transmissions and run a 46rh/518 if I went this route. And I have considered it, but my AMC is running fine.

Honestly, my biggest complaint is lack of OD coupled with realistic axle gearing.
Last edited by dodgerammit on Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

BCRAWLER wrote:I would be tempted to bypass this idea. Had an 93 Grand and the engine management system has a big issue. on the 93 the voltage regulator is part of the main computer. Jump start somebody wrong and new computer. If you could find a new different alternator and a set up to run engine management chores you can stand a chance.Somebody on here may have knowledge if 95 same. Your best bet is 5.3. Check on here to see what is involved. That would be the way I would go depending on what is up with the 360.

Also, you can do a early Dodge external regulator conversion and keep the computer in this instance.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

rainman

Post by rainman »

As mentioned I have done this swap. Since regearing I have no complaints about power levels. I used a 95 since It was the last year of the hydraulic transmission and no obd2 junk to deal with. The engine electronics are fairly easy to hook up. If you don’t want/need the overdrive transmission, there is a 727 available in the dodge vans that has the crank sensor setup (but the starter might be on the other side.)
1987 Grand Wagoneer
5.2L/46RH/NP229/4"/31s/4.56/ARBs
Current FSJ status: Mostly functional...mostly

bigun

Post by bigun »

dodgerammit wrote:
BCRAWLER wrote:I would be tempted to bypass this idea. Had an 93 Grand and the engine management system has a big issue. on the 93 the voltage regulator is part of the main computer. Jump start somebody wrong and new computer. If you could find a new different alternator and a set up to run engine management chores you can stand a chance.Somebody on here may have knowledge if 95 same. Your best bet is 5.3. Check on here to see what is involved. That would be the way I would go depending on what is up with the 360.

Also, you can do a early Dodge external regulator conversion and keep the computer in this instance.
My 91 D-150 computer quit regulating the alternator so BlackBart and I (It was really Craig, but I stood and watched) added and external regulator ran like a charm.

Topic author
Beh woody

Post by Beh woody »

Thanks for the links and advice. Starting to think this goes in the category of can be done, but likely not worth the effort. My current thoughts then go back to just rebuilding the AMC 360. Fuel injection is a must for me...good news in PA no emissions to pass...any good suggestions here? Perhaps I should start a new thread?

bigun

Post by bigun »

Engine swaps are doable, you just need to realize it is more than just trading engines and transmissions. You can do them fast then fix problems as the crop up, or do them right. Having a donor vehicle helps because you can look and see how the factory did it and for the most part just move their engineering from one to the other. There are several guys I watch on you tube, Project Binky is probably the most detailed, Skid Factory is pretty good, Allen takes time to show things like adapting wiring from one vehicle to the other, then there is Grenade Motorsports he does a lot of swapping older bodies on to later model cars. one of the problems with doing this has always been firewall and floors, he gets around it by keeping the donor car's and adapting them to the older vehicle, he avoids all the electrical problems by using the donor's gauges.

https://www.youtube.com/user/badobsessionmsport/videos
Absolutely one of the best their attention to detail is unreal which is why it has taken them 4 years to get to where they are.
https://www.youtube.com/user/mcmtv2/videos
You want to watch the Skid Factory their latest is putting a Ford double overhead cam 2 in a van as Australians they have to pass inspections on swaps so they are more detailed. Allen known as Turbo Yoda is really good with showing work arounds. I like him better than MCM who are just a pair of monkeys yelling hey bro at each other.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1s20Y ... 53w/videos

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Stock for stock, the 318 magnum will be stronger and a bit more efficient out of the gate. It'll have the efi you desire along with an OD transmission. The fact you would have a donor vehicle is a good thing.

Like Rainman posted, you need the whole vehicle. He also used the Grand Cherokee's fuel tank since the OD trans was longer, placing the T Case into the original fuel tank's real estate. The modifications are relatively minor as far as swaps go.

He had to have a transmission crossmember made, made some shift linkage adapters, I think he combined the AMC and Chrysler motor mounts some way, made some tank straps, had driveshafts made, and slightly modded the heater core box. He also used a 300 case adapter to mate the 229 to the 518 since the shaft is a bit longer on the 518.

I encourage you to not throw out the idea just yet. A free donor vehicle is a BIG step in the right direction. Especially if it is a 4x4 and in mechanically sound shape.

Topic author
Beh woody

Post by Beh woody »

This is some great information, much appreciated! The donor runs good and is free which makes it very tempting. I originally had it slated for another project when this grand wagoneer landed in my lap. The woody is a nice barn find in great shape minus the engine. The more I contemplate what to do the more I lean towards redoing that dang AMC 360. It pains me to know I’ll have the same dollars in that as a brand new GM LS crate motor, but I’m just not in a place with time that I can spend playing with frabricating/adapting...and doing it right. I want this wagoneer as a sort of daily driver and would like to get it out of the garage by Spring. My next project is a 66 Gladiator that will sit on a late model Cummins 12 valve chassis, and I’m much more excited to get wrenching on that one!

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I am very happy with my AMC block. Spending time underhood deleting the duraspark module and replacing it with a MSD streetfire box was a big step in the right direction. Getting the carb tuned, doing a TFI tune up (modern ford spark plugs, big cap and rotor), then tuning the ignition timing with a vacuum gauge has netted me 13-14 avg during the summer months. Winter is rougher due to the warm up time for the carburetor. I use 100% gas fwiw.

My future mods would definitely be GM TBI with timing control and adapting a hydraulic style OD transmission along with regearing to 3.73s for realistic off the line power. Also throwing a better cam for low end torque and a decent intake on would be a good thing. Will rebuild motor before any of this, so I have some time before that happens.

Have you looked into long blocks from auto zone, etc? I think BJs also has them. Some places will change the cam profile if you desire. That is a must IMO. Get a good, low idle-3000 rpm power range. Throw an aluminum edelbrock intake and efi or even a decent 4 barrel on it, and you'll be pleased.

Probably the best bang for buck as far as rebuilds go.