Part websites

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Gladiator69

Part websites

Post by Gladiator69 »

I have found a few websites for classic jeep truck parts, but if anyone knows of any good reliable sites i would appreciate the information.
1969 Jeep Gladiator

Phils67

Re: Part websites

Post by Phils67 »

For a vehicle that had such a long production run with only minor changes you would think there would be more but there really isnt much support for these trucks. Bjs and team grand wagoneer are decent sources. Sometimes jeeptruck.com has people selling used parts. The majority of my good finds have been on ebay. The hard part about that is you have to individually search every model variant sometimes to get different results (i.e. J200,J300,J2000,J3000,J4000,Gladiator, FSJ,Wagoneer,J10,J20,Kaiser Jeep, etc). It can be pretty time consuming but usually yields me decent results. So many parts are interchangable with these trucks. I have had success searching under Jeep FC and M715 as well for certain things. If you have a model 53 rear you can look it up under the FC and late Willys pickup as well as under Packard and Lincoln parts, just be sure to look it up as Dana 53 as well as Spicer model 53 since the later is technically what it is. T18 parts can be found under Ford and IH as well. Dana 20 parts could be under Jeep, Ford, IH, etc. These are just a few ideas that may help you or someone else down the road that I have found helpful in the past. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and get creative when searching, but I have come across tons of OEM NOS items on there. As far as original or replacement body parts, good luck on that one.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Phils67 points out that there's not much support for these trucks. Unfortunately, production of J-trucks was pretty low compared to say Ford that built nearly one million light trucks annually. J-trucks were on the order of 10,000 annually (a guess) - 100x fewer. Not a lot of profit in making parts for old Jeep trucks.

Sometimes you can find parts using the Jeep PN picked from the J-Series parts book on the Tom Collins site. http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html Use your favorite search engine with "Jeep" and often you'll get parts that are listed for other Jeep models. The aftermarket sellers (like RockAuto) post the application data that is supplied to them by the maker of the parts, and these in turn likely come from the Hollander Interchange Guide that junkyards typically use. Aftermarket listings for Jeeps are rife with errors.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

derf

Post by derf »

tgreese wrote:Aftermarket listings for Jeeps are rife with errors.
In the same way that Godzilla is a lizard or the Grand Canyon is a hole in the ground.

I never trust even Rock Auto to have the right listing for something until I verify the part number. I've been burned a number of times by this. More than once I've gotten an XJ part when ordering a Grand Wagoneer part. They can't even get things like axle seals and bearings listed correctly. I always look up the part I want in my parts book and do a part number interchange to look it up. But that's not guaranteed to work either since some manufacturers don't even bother to try to get that right after they discontinue something. They just lump all the discontinued part numbers as interchanging with something they make and it's not even close.

Topic author
Gladiator69

Post by Gladiator69 »

Thanks for the responses everyone. I definitely have some digging to do. Most of the interior i am going to do myself and customize. I just want to do upkeep on the original motor for now until i can get an upgraded one that has more support for parts etc.
1969 Jeep Gladiator

1971J4000

Post by 1971J4000 »

Gladiator69 wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone. I definitely have some digging to do. Most of the interior i am going to do myself and customize. I just want to do upkeep on the original motor for now until i can get an upgraded one that has more support for parts etc.
Last edited by 1971J4000 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
1971 J4600 with Dauntless 350

1971J4000

Post by 1971J4000 »

Gladiator69 wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone. I definitely have some digging to do. Most of the interior i am going to do myself and customize. I just want to do upkeep on the original motor for now until i can get an upgraded one that has more support for parts etc.
We might have something you can use.

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 18&t=15655
1971 J4600 with Dauntless 350

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

A '69 should have the 232 six or the 350 Buick. The Buick has some value, both in the truck and as a replacement or swap engine. If you have the 350, many owners would prize it for what it is.

Looking at your earlier posts, it should be a 232, not the OHC 230 cid Tornado. If I actually had a Tornado in a truck titled as a '69, I'd be suspicious of the title. Last year for the Tornado was 1965. Jeep switched to the outsourced AMC 232 in '65-66 and offered that as the base engine until 1971.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Gladiator69

Post by Gladiator69 »

tgreese wrote:
A '69 should have the 232 six or the 350 Buick. The Buick has some value, both in the truck and as a replacement or swap engine. If you have the 350, many owners would prize it for what it is.

Looking at your earlier posts, it should be a 232, not the OHC 230 cid Tornado. If I actually had a Tornado in a truck titled as a '69, I'd be suspicious of the title. Last year for the Tornado was 1965. Jeep switched to the outsourced AMC 232 in '65-66 and offered that as the base engine until 1971.
I think you are correct. The owner said he wasnt the most involved with the mechanics of the truck. I would like to upgrade to the 350 Buick at some point. Thanks for the information. I am new to a lot of this stuff and i am trying to research as much as possible.
1969 Jeep Gladiator

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You'd think that you could swap in a V8 in place of a six easily, but it's not so straightforward. The V8s used a much longer transmission input shaft and bellhousing or engine adapter to move the V8 forward in the engine compartment. The AMC 232 and Buick V8 have different bell housing patterns, so the 350 won't bolt up to the 232 transmission without a new bellhousing and input shaft.

There's no easy swap for the 232. It has a different bolt pattern from both the earlier (327) and later AMC engines (304/360 etc) and again, the transmission from the sixes won't work with the V8s. If you were able to bolt up the V8 to the bellhousing, it would interfere with the firewall, or you could move the engine forward and the shifter would be under the dash. There is a lot about this in old posts here and on ifsja.org if you search.

I'd think your easiest swaps would be either a Jeep 4.0L HO engine and transmission from an XJ (manual or automatic) or a modern small block Chevy (SBC) with an automatic and passenger drop transfer case. The 4.0L HO has power comparable to the V8s of the era, and comes with the excellent Mopar/Bosch multiport fuel injection. When swapping for the later sixes, the 4.0L HO will just drop in - same bell and mounts as the '71 and newer AMC six - but the earlier 232 is different. Certainly it will not bolt up to your transmission, and I believe Jeep changed the engine mounts for the sixes in 1971 as well.

So it's not straightforward... you have a bit of homework to do before you start looking for parts.

You have a picture of the engine compartment? That would be interesting.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Gladiator69

Post by Gladiator69 »

tgreese wrote:You'd think that you could swap in a V8 in place of a six easily, but it's not so straightforward. The V8s used a much longer transmission input shaft and bellhousing or engine adapter to move the V8 forward in the engine compartment. The AMC 232 and Buick V8 have different bell housing patterns, so the 350 won't bolt up to the 232 transmission without a new bellhousing and input shaft.

There's no easy swap for the 232. It has a different bolt pattern from both the earlier (327) and later AMC engines (304/360 etc) and again, the transmission from the sixes won't work with the V8s. If you were able to bolt up the V8 to the bellhousing, it would interfere with the firewall, or you could move the engine forward and the shifter would be under the dash. There is a lot about this in old posts here and on ifsja.org if you search.

I'd think your easiest swaps would be either a Jeep 4.0L HO engine and transmission from an XJ (manual or automatic) or a modern small block Chevy (SBC) with an automatic and passenger drop transfer case. The 4.0L HO has power comparable to the V8s of the era, and comes with the excellent Mopar/Bosch multiport fuel injection. When swapping for the later sixes, the 4.0L HO will just drop in - same bell and mounts as the '71 and newer AMC six - but the earlier 232 is different. Certainly it will not bolt up to your transmission, and I believe Jeep changed the engine mounts for the sixes in 1971 as well.

So it's not straightforward... you have a bit of homework to do before you start looking for parts.

You have a picture of the engine compartment? That would be interesting.
Wow! Thanks for all that! Its a real eye opener. Im learning something new every day. I will attach some pictures of the compartment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 Jeep Gladiator

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

It would also be worthwhile to look at the transmission and see what you have. That's probably a Borg-Warner T-14:

http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/db.html#3-speed
http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/t14.html

Fully synchromesh, and easy to drive - an easy shifter. A T-14 is definitely not strong enough for V8 power, but fine to putt around with the factory 232 and factory sized tires. Happy to discuss this more with you, when you get to that point.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.