cs130 alternator install

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Xplitive

cs130 alternator install

Post by Xplitive »

Installing a CS130 alternator, mainly because the SI failed and I had the CS130 with plug adapter/resistor leftover from something else.
My question is, does the nichrome wire in the factory harness need to removed and a 'regular' wire substituted?
Its a 1989.
Research on the topic indicates the nichrome has low resistance but not sure I can just 'add' the resistance values of the wire to the resistance value of the plug adapter. I also have no idea what the plug adapter has in it but it is an EC82 or equivalent.
Last, if the nichrome wire does need to be removed, does it terminate at the bulkhead connector? Have read there is some sort of splice, not sure if it beyond the bulkhead or model year.

thank you
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

Topic author
Xplitive

Re: cs144 alternator install

Post by Xplitive »

Had to go with a CS144 after discovering the mounting ears on my parts bin cs130 did not have the ears at the 12 and 6 o’clock position.

In Swapping the pulleys, The tapered collar wasn’t budging using the socket and hammer method. Just by luck, decided to grab and rotate the pulley and fan in opposite directions. That seemed to loosen up the collar’s grip and it promptly came free.

Fairly easy upgrade but both my temp and amps gauge are now reading off after the swap (they were actually accurate before). I also swear the rig idles smoother, especially with high beams, blower on high, electric fuel pump, and electric fan running.
Erik

Cecil14

Re: cs130 alternator install

Post by Cecil14 »

No, you do not need to remove the nichrome wire. You simply need to have a method to prevent backfeeding the ignition through the field wire, so resistor wire, real resistor, diode, warning lamp, etc. will all work.

You shouldn't have an ammeter in an '89? It should be a voltmeter by that point. I really wouldn't count any of the factory gauges as accurate. I would never trust them for more than VERY basic info.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Yes, correct voltmeter. Didn’t remove the nichrome wire after reading up a bunch. Odd thing is I checked the gauges a while back after reading how everyone complained theirs were off. Generally speaking, since there are very few actual numbers and more hash marks on each gauge, they seemed to indicate accurately against temp gun and meter. Not going to worry about it too much now, just glad to not have a dead battery every other day.
Erik

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The main issue with the nichrome wire, IMO: you can't solder it, and it's hard to crimp onto it securely. I replaced mine with a diode in both my trucks.

Regarding the mounting ears of the CS130, I only have experience with the 10SIs, and they are easy to clock. I would think the CS130 would be too. If the ears are in the wrong location, you can rotate the alternator body.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Looked at clocking but with mounting ears on this one at about the 1 and 5 o’clock position decided to go with something better known.
If the case size and weight is indicative of performance, the CS144 is massive compared to both the SI and CS130.
Thanks for the heads up in crimping no-chrome, I’ll have to watch it, couldn’t believe how small the actual wire is after stripping the insulation back.
Erik

acct21

Post by acct21 »

I would think the CS130 would be too. If the ears are in the wrong location, you can rotate the alternator body.
There is a rare (ish) version of the CS130 that has offset mounting holes -- either 1 and 5 o'clock, or 7 and 11 o'clock. Made for different mounting brackets in the 1990s Camaros. Sounds like OP may have ended up with one of those -- as opposed to the usual 12 and 6 version.

1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

That would be correct as the previous project vehicle was a camaro. Believe same era GM trucks may have same setup because serpentine front end drive is similar. Bottom line is those aren’t ideal for FSJ!
CS144 is in, massive, and powering electrical like a champ especially at idle and low rpm. If anyone is on the fence about this swap, it was almost as easy as putting in the window wipes!
Erik