Converting auto to manual. What parts?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
JeepManiac

Converting auto to manual. What parts?

Post by JeepManiac »

Hello folks. I have already received a bit of help from this site so thanks.

I keep going back and forth on what engine/trans I want in my 1987 J20. Trying to make it a good DD that can tow 5000 lbs comfortably and get okay mileage.

I have an 80's manual J10 for parts. WHat I'm trying to figure out is exactly what parts I need to install/convert to a manual transmission in my J20 and use a hydraulic clutch.

I am probably buying a 2000 Cherokee XJ with a NV3550 for parts. What clutch pedal should I use? Does anyone have a recommendation for a hydraulic clutch setup? Master cyl and all that? I don't completely understand the layout of the entire system and how to basically rig up a "custom" one.

I have gone between using a 350, LS, I6 stroker, or even 12V cummins. Because for some reason I happen to currently have a line on all of these locally. But the Jeep I6 stroker will be cheaper and should meet my goals.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Converting auto to manual. What parts?

Post by rocklaurence »

First, you need to decide which transmission you want. Look at Novac and Advance Adapters for the available parts and common adapters.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

The trans is a NV3550. I am trying to figure out exactly what parts I need to set up the clutch before I pull the trigger on this parts Jeep (2000 XJ).

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If you have a manual J10 parts car, you take the pedals and bracket from that. hydraulic is possible, but you could also adapt the mechanical linkage from the donor. You can also transplant the manual column, if it bothers you to have the abandoned auto column shift parts in the column. Bypass the neutral safety switch. Just use what you need from the manual parts donor, and fab up what you need to mate the FSJ parts to your new transmission and clutch.

A Chevy V8 and truck 4-speed's shifter will come up under the dash. Other combos will be further back, but you'll have to improvise regarding shifter location. If you go with a stroker, the inline 6 sits further back in the engine compartment and the shifter will be in the 'normal' location. Use the frame towers from a 258 FSJ with a stroker.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Novac has everything you need for the Hydraulic clutch setup for the NV3550/AX15. I used a low profile master with a remote resivour.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

What parts would I be able to take from the XJ parts rig?