Mid '80's Grand Wagoneer door to '78 J10

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
88amcsuv

Mid '80's Grand Wagoneer door to '78 J10

Post by 88amcsuv »

Don't know what the difference is but I've been told that the later doors won't fit the '78 J10. Does anyone know exactly what the difference is? Is it something that can be overcome? Also if you can't use the door itself can you transfer the guts (power windows, locks and mirrors) to the older model door? I am interested in putting all of the creature comforts into my old truck. There is a lot of work that needs to be done and I figure why not use some of the stuff I have laying around to spruce it up a bit. It's not like I have anything in the old truck maybe $1,000.00 if that. So what do I have to lose? Don't get me wrong the old truck has some rust on one of the lower quarters, passenger floor and rocker are pretty much gone and I don't know if there is any of the floor in the bed left. So I will order and buy parts as I can but might as well put on what I already have.
1976 AMC Gremlin V-8 ordered new, needs restoring
1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 401, turbo 400, dana 20 twin stick, dana 44's with 3:73 gears and 4 wheel disc brakes, 33x10.50Rx15LT tires on factory slots, hydro boost, 6 inch Rusty's lift (removing rear 2" blocks and put new 4" front springs can't get in too high), with new upholstery, carpet, stereo and speakers, my own version of on and off road emergency kit.
1998 Mercury Mountaineer daily driver
2006 Ford F-150, Lariat, extended cab, 5.4L, 2WD

FSJ Guy

Re: Mid '80's Grand Wagoneer door to '78 J10

Post by FSJ Guy »

The door latches are different on the 79 and up doors, IIRC. But the other interior stuff should fit. You might have to drill a few holes here and there to mount the later brackets, but it shouldn't be too terribly difficult.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

letank

Re: Mid '80's Grand Wagoneer door to '78 J10

Post by letank »

It takes a little measurement accuracy, I created a template out of sturdy cardboard, plastic could work as well, the one that packs some of our purchases.

a mid 80's door with the 74 latch installed

more here

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... 34J1wX7Lqz

the hardest was to adjust the throw of the manual window regulator, it needed a little shortening to allow complete closure of the glass

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)