1974 Jeep Cherokee suspension modification

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
shadowsilence

1974 Jeep Cherokee suspension modification

Post by shadowsilence »

Good afternoon,
We have recently acquired a 1974 Jeep Cherokee and are looking to making it a fun offroad/onroad vehicle. However, as we've found in this forums 74 and 75 rear springs are a pain in the butt to find. There have been a lot of points to vendors who will custom make rear springs that will work. However, that is currently not in our budget as the rear springs cost as much as an entire lift kit with new springs. What we'd like to do is convert the spring mounts and locations to line up with the 1976 and later Jeep Cherokees.

Would anyone be able to post some pictures of how the rear springs mount on the 76-81 Cherokees? We are looking for the front mount visual, rear mount visual, and distance from center bolt to center bolt front to rear would be amazing.

This will be an ongoing project, and have found this network to be amazing with support and information. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help us out. The lift we want to install is the rough country 3IN JEEP SUSPENSION LIFT SYSTEM SKU: 64530. The one that fits 74-75 does not have rear springs, and we'd rather not us the 40 year old springs with lift blocks.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 1974 Jeep Cherokee suspension modification

Post by Stuka »

First, welcome tot he forum!

Hell Creek can get you springs for that. The rear springs for 62-75 Waggy/Chero are the same (74-91 fronts are the same). What changed is the bushing sizes. You will need to know what size bushings you have current as Jeep used more than one size post for 74-75.

76+ rear springs are 5 inches longer, and require moving both the front and rear spring hangers.

Also, I would advise against a rough country lift. They are not known for a good ride.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

74-75 had the 1" post mounts, just like the 70-73 trucks. The spring dimensions are 26x26x2.5. If you could find springs for a 70-73 J-truck with a short bed, they would work. You can use 52" GM springs, if you dont mind it riding like a dump truck, but will have to swap the bushings for the 1" post. Shackle end is 9/16.
Why not use add a leafs and longer shackles? You can 2" lift shackles for a XJ Cherokee and switch out the bushings. Another option is 88-98 GM K1500 shackle brackets, the "J" shaped style that drops down, which allows you to use standard GM shackles without changing the bushings. That plus add a leafs should net you about 3", stiffen your rear springs back up, and give you a decent ride and articulation.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Topic author
shadowsilence

Post by shadowsilence »

Thanks for the welcome. We've already looked at hell creek, but the $800 for two leafs is a budget killer right now. Blood, Sweat, and Tears are free and parts or the 76+ are readily available. Without enough time and planning and some beers we just want to convert the bracket mounts to fit the 76+ or create our own but have no reference visuals.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Welcome to the forum!

I think more people are picking up 74/75 models as the newer available units dwindle. It is limited support for these rear springs. I think you'll find that the frame dimension vary enough from 76-91 that you have some fab to deal with by boxing the perches. I am not a fab guy. I know those guys. Most of them try to avoid 74/75 lifts. There is one exception and I think this guy is a crazy mofo. He scrapped his 74 Cherokee frame for an 82 frame. The body mounts are different in places which also requires more fab. I said I am not a fab guy. Then you have to consider fuel tank. He used the tank from the 82 so no fab required. The 82 tank is actually a bit better option considering it is poly with a skid pan and the 74/75 are metal and tend to snap the baffles off inside over time. Not all of them had skid plates in 74/75. It was part of some package. Now I come back around to 76-91 models. They have more suspension options that there will ever be for 74/75. You'll figure something out. There are other ways. My first Waggy had air shocks front and back and that was plenty to run 31's on south Texas beaches.

Good Luck!
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

As I recall, the skid plate was simply a line item on the options list in that era. Options packages are a more modern phenomenon, generally.

You can go a little longer with front shackles, but I would not go more than say 1" longer. This will give you and additional 1/2" lift. Realize also that longer shackles will change the steering caster angle, which could/will have an adverse effect on steering.

I'd think your best option would be replace the fronts with some factory replacement springs and add modest blocks in the rear, or longer shackles in the rear as described above. Both blocks and longer shackles are acceptable for the rear axle. I expect this will give you a couple of inches over flat original springs, and would not be very expensive.

Note that the TSM has a frame diagram that may be of help. http://oljeep.com/gw/79_tsm/79_Jeep_TSM.pdf
Last edited by tgreese on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I think your on the right track--go with a newer model option. However, if you considering fabing -in a set of 77-90 springs why not look to something even newer that has the benefit of longer softer springs? Maybe; Taho , Explorer, or another SUV spring?