MSD Distributor with a Motorcraft Box?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Fast79Chief

MSD Distributor with a Motorcraft Box?

Post by Fast79Chief »

Hey y'all, yesterday I installed an MSD 8519 Pro Billet distributor in my 79 360 Cherokee. I left the stock ignition box in place for now. Had to add one ground wire to the MSD dist. housing to make it a 'plug and play' installation with the stock wiring coming from the stock box. Added a set of HEI type wires and the old girl is running very good.
Does anybody see a problem with leaving this setup long term? Of course MSD wants everybody to buy their $300.00 boxes for their distributor ... but apparently it will work with the factory box.

Appreciate any input from experienced wrenchers. Thanks.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Re: MSD Distributor with a Motorcraft Box?

Post by Fast79Chief »

I'll copy this to the Stock Tech.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)