5.3 Vortec Swap with a Quadra Trac - diff on the wrong side...

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
icaerus

5.3 Vortec Swap with a Quadra Trac - diff on the wrong side...

Post by icaerus »

Hello all. I'm new to the full size jeep world. But the short story is I've got a 74 cherokee sport that I pulled the AMC401/Quadra-Trac drive train out of (all for sale if you're interested but I'm new so can't post yet) I've got a 5.3 with 4l60e sitting the shop. I'm trying to figure out the best (cost is primary but hacking/cutting/demolishing is something I'm avoiding) option on my t-case to get something to mate up to the passenger side differential in the front. I've poked around and haven't seen much but from what I gather most people favor the NP241. Is there a passenger side 241 variant that I missed? Some of your wisdom would be appreciated. This will be my daily with occasional 4WD use. Thanks. -Brandon

derf

Re: 5.3 Vortec Swap with a Quadra Trac - diff on the wrong side...

Post by derf »

A chevy NP208 from an 80s truck will bolt up with no adapters. It's passenger drop.

A Jeep Dana 300 can be adapted bit that's a fair bit of cash.

Topic author
icaerus

Post by icaerus »

Thanks. I'll be on the look out.

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

For a 241 they are getting more difficult to find but you want one from an 89-92 K5 blazer or suburban. 3/4 ton suburbans will have 32 spline inputs that will not work with the 4l60e unless you change it to the 27 spline. The 89's will have a cable drive speedo which you may or may not want. With the cable speedo you would need an inline VSS to make the ECU happy.
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

IMO, replace the front axle with a post 1980. You'll get a heavier axle with bigger tubes and can use any Driver's side drop OEM transfer case.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

Dana 300 is your only option for that swap. But if you go find a 4L60 trans and bolt it to the 5.3 then you can bolt the quadratrac tcase to it. But sadly they don't have an adapter yet for the 4L60E.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

derf

Post by derf »

DustinLangston wrote:Dana 300 is your only option for that swap.
The 80's Chevy NP208 (with 27 spline input) is an option as it bolts to the 4L60 without an adapter.
DustinLangston wrote:But if you go find a 4L60 trans and bolt it to the 5.3 then you can bolt the quadratrac tcase to it. But sadly they don't have an adapter yet for the 4L60E.
Not exactly true. The early generation 4L60E (93-96) has the same bolt pattern on the tail as the 700R4(82-89) and 4L60(90-92) so the adapters that work with the earlier transmissions work with that version of the 4L60E. 97 and newer 4L60e have a redesigned case that isn't compatible. But it sounds from their page that if you call them they can come up with a solution.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products ... apter-kit/
This kit is designed for exclusive use with the 4wd 700R-4 / 4L60 / 4L60E manufactured thru 1996. The overall case length of the transmission is 23.375”, has a non-removable bell housing, and a 4 bolt square rear case. Late model 4L60E automatics will have a removable bell housing and a 6 bolt hex pattern rear case. The late model automatic will require an additional Advance Adapter to work with this kit.

will e

Post by will e »

I like the idea of just swapping the front axle. Probably the lowest cost option overall. You might check out that rear axle too, isn't it offset for the QT?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

derf

Post by derf »

Problem with drivers side drop is that there isn't much room under the driver side floor pan before 1980. They made modifications to fit the driver side drop cases when they made the switch. It's not as simple as just plugging the case to the transmission. You will likely need to make clearance for the case in the floor boards, which can possibly affect seat mounts. Cutting out an 80's driver side floor pan and welding it in place of the existing floor pan would work but then you'd need an 80's seat base to match.

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

If you happen to be in the Ky area, I have a set of wide track axles under an 83 Cherokee that I am selling. Would be your cheapest route for sure. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

will e

Post by will e »

derf wrote:Problem with drivers side drop is that there isn't much room under the driver side floor pan before 1980. They made modifications to fit the driver side drop cases when they made the switch. It's not as simple as just plugging the case to the transmission. You will likely need to make clearance for the case in the floor boards, which can possibly affect seat mounts. Cutting out an 80's driver side floor pan and welding it in place of the existing floor pan would work but then you'd need an 80's seat base to match.
I was not aware of that! Learn something new every day. This is why the seat brackets changed too huh?

Are the newer transfer cases smaller? Will the positioning of the engine/transmission/TC be different enough to help?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

The D300 is definitely smaller than the NP208/241. I've got a short tail D300 in my truck right now, and an NP241DLD to eventually swap in. I can take some pics/measurements tomorrow.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

will e wrote:
derf wrote:Problem with drivers side drop is that there isn't much room under the driver side floor pan before 1980. They made modifications to fit the driver side drop cases when they made the switch. It's not as simple as just plugging the case to the transmission. You will likely need to make clearance for the case in the floor boards, which can possibly affect seat mounts. Cutting out an 80's driver side floor pan and welding it in place of the existing floor pan would work but then you'd need an 80's seat base to match.
I was not aware of that! Learn something new every day. This is why the seat brackets changed too huh?

Are the newer transfer cases smaller? Will the positioning of the engine/transmission/TC be different enough to help?
Yup. The floor is about 1.5” higher for the inside driver seat bracket. Doesn’t sound like much, but the t-case is snuggled up in there. Would not fit without it unless you dropped the t-case down.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

derf

Post by derf »

Stuka wrote:
will e wrote:

Yup. The floor is about 1.5” higher for the inside driver seat bracket. Doesn’t sound like much, but the t-case is snuggled up in there. Would not fit without it unless you dropped the t-case down.
Exactly. It's not hard to make it work. You just have to know what little things you have to deal with and come up with a plan to make it happen.

Personally, if I was in the OP's shoes, I'd go with the Chevy passenger drop case. It's as close to a bolt-in as you can get. The only fabrication will probably be a shifter and that's not rocket surgery. Driveshafts will have to be modified but that's probably true no matter what t-case you end up with.