Corbeau seats in my J20

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Fast79Chief

Re: Corbeau seats in my J20

Post by Fast79Chief »

79 is still the passenger drop transfer cases.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

Found them, you're right the holes are there

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

So I received my seat brackets. Still waiting on the seats. http://wedgebrackets.com/jeep-grand-wag ... ckets.html

I pulled them out of the box and even on the garage floor they didn't seem like they could possible be right. I knew my bench seat sat nice and flat on the garage floor. These brackets are designed for a really uneven floor pan.

They claim to be for a Grand Wagoneer (FSJ) 79-87, I was under the impression the floor pan was the same in the FSJ's from the Wagoneer to the J10 and J20. What do you guys say?

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

My '84 brackets don't sit flat on the floor. The inner pads are on the tunnel so they're a little higher. I don't think the inner two on either side are even at the same level.

I assume the bench only sits on the four outer pads.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

Yes the bench only sits on 4 outer mount holes. They're all flat too. The bench on its mounts sit perfectly flat on the ground. I even removed the brackets from the bench in case these new brackets were designed to incorporate the original brackets. That wasn't happening either

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

I should have just copied this dude. Probably going to. The angle iron running across in the middle with give me a frame to mount my winters shifter and a center console of sorts

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118477

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

The wag seats in my J-10 sit level with the floor, but the inner brackets, as SJTD mentions, are wonky on the floor side. The seat side of the bracket is flat, but the floor side had to be bent to match the contours of the floor.

If you got the wrong era brackets (70s brackets in an 80s vehicle, for instance), the brackets won't sit even close to flat.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

I get what you're saying. Obviously the seat side will be nice and flat. But yea the bench seat mounts also sit pretty flat. That's what I was trying to say when I was explaining that the bench seat could easily sit on your garage floor and you can sit on it. Seats from my XJ you can't do that. You set it down and it falls over because of the way it mounts on the bottom.

Were all FSJ's of the same model year the same when it comes to the floor pan and seat mounting?? That was my understanding. I am just trying to get my info together before talking to the company. Hard to complain when it says they're for a grand wagoneer and I'm trying to put them in a J20

derf

Post by derf »

Seat mount points for the truck will match the same year wagoneer.

I converted from a bench to grand wag seat bases in my 86. I had to clean out the bolt holes that weren't used with the bench seats but they bolted right in.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

Thanks for the reply. I'll go look again in case my head wasn't on right, then reach out to the company

derf

Post by derf »

In my truck you couldn't really see the bolt holes from the top. It's like they put down a glob of bondo or something before painting. It's best to find the captive nuts underneath with the glob of goop sticking out. Poke it out with a small screwdriver or something. The run a tap through it when its mostly clean.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

I'd have to take another look, but I'm pretty sure the wag seats I have are pretty flat on the bottom similar to the bench. It's been quite a while since I've been that deep into them, though.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

Okay! So I double checked my situation. The passenger side seat bracket does appear to be right. It does sit a bit further forward than the bench did. But actuating the slider makes it look like the seat will go back far enough.

The driver side for sure isn't quite right. I might have to modify it. Or I might still run angle iron across from one original bench seat brackets like in that thread I linked, and build a frame of sorts to mount them to.

To elaborate, on the inboard side of the driver seat bracket, where the front right "foot" hits the floor make the whole bracket sit uneven leaning to the left. Then the rear right corner mount needs to be at least 2 or 3" longer to reach the floor. Might be hard to imagine but that's what's going on.

Also in my truck there is what appears to be a plastic "plug" in each mount hole. They're definitely there and I can see the black plastic head of the plug when I pull the carpet up. The stock vinyl flooring has 2 sets of holes even in it, for either the bench or buckets

derf

Post by derf »

The seat brackets on the driver side at least changed in 1980 when they went to the driver drop tcase and changed the floor boards. I don't know if they left the passenger side alone. But 79 and older doesn't interchange with 80 and newer on the driver side.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

The inner driver bracket is the only one that changed, as far as I've found. And it sounds like you have the one that you don't want. Does the outer driver bracket fit correctly?

What you're describing is exactly what I had when I tried to bolt the 70s wag seats into my 83 J-10. Pass seat went in perfect, outer driver bracket was correct, inner bracket I had to use a stack of washers to get it even close and it still sat a bit wonky.

aa

derf

Post by derf »

I put 70s Cherokee seats in my 86. Swapped them on to 80s power seat bases and they bolted right in.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

Yea so the outer driver bracket lines up with holes but does not sit level, leans to the left. I would have to use 2" worth of washers. At that point I would make a bushing out of tubing. I might cut both of these up and build a frame off of the stock bench brackets because honestly, that would be easy to fab. Probably take me an hour

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

I still have the brackets off my 83 if you need them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

This might be lazy if you answered this previously, but how much do you want for them?

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

I'll get some pictures for you. But $20 plus shipping sound reasonable? They have some surface rust on them, but nothing major I dont think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk