2" lift options?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Iroc313

2" lift options?

Post by Iroc313 »

Get guys. I picked up a 2" lift from BJs a few years ago and it rides pretty awful, they're alcan springs.

Can you guys recommend me any leafs with this lift that ride a little better? I like the stance that the truck currently has

HowardT64

Re: 2" lift options?

Post by HowardT64 »

Do you have a picture? I would like to see how it looks with that lift amount :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ok, few things first.

1: What shocks do you have?
2: Did you leave the leaf spring eyes loose until you had it on the ground? (If you tighten in the air it will ride way worse)
3: Have the springs had a chance to break in?
4: What tire pressure do you run?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

And did you replace the shackle bushings also? I had really bad ride with an old Rustys 4" lift, and the main source of the bad ride was the old hard rubber shackle bushings.

Also, Alcan will make springs any way you want them. Im pretty sure the specs the BJS lift springs are made to give up a little ride quality to keep the price down. You can get an Alcan spring pack custom made that will ride as good as any leaf spring.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Topic author
Iroc313

Post by Iroc313 »

HowardT64 wrote:Do you have a picture? I would like to see how it looks with that lift amount :)
Image2018-08-05_03-45-59 by Jimmy Casey Photography, on Flickr

Image2018-08-05_03-46-30 by Jimmy Casey Photography, on Flickr

Hopefully that captures the ride height
Stuka wrote:Ok, few things first.

1: What shocks do you have?
2: Did you leave the leaf spring eyes loose until you had it on the ground? (If you tighten in the air it will ride way worse)
3: Have the springs had a chance to break in?
4: What tire pressure do you run?
1: Bilstein 5125s
2: I left them loose for a while, drove over some curbs, drove around for a few miles
3: They've been on the truck for a while, I don't have many actual miles on it.
4: 38psi last time I checked.
RamJetFSJ wrote:And did you replace the shackle bushings also? I had really bad ride with an old Rustys 4" lift, and the main source of the bad ride was the old hard rubber shackle bushings.

Also, Alcan will make springs any way you want them. Im pretty sure the specs the BJS lift springs are made to give up a little ride quality to keep the price down. You can get an Alcan spring pack custom made that will ride as good as any leaf spring.
I did replace the shackles with factory replacement ones from BJ's, someone mentioned longer shackles might help, but that would also lower it.

I will definitely contact them about that.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Drop your tires down to 32, will ride a whole lot better. I run the tires on my truck at 30.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Fire1

Post by Fire1 »

If you don't really like the 2" Spring ride you could always put the old springs back on and install the Rocklaurence FSSR. Will be a softer street ride, better on high speed off-road and still lift you 2". You will surrender some hard core crawling competency but it doesn't look like you've built that ride to flog it on trails.
1980 J20 258 4 speed, stock suspension
1982 Cherokee NT 360 auto, stock suspension

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Iroc313 wrote:
I did replace the shackles with factory replacement ones from BJ's, someone mentioned longer shackles might help, but that would also lower it.

I will definitely contact them about that.
Longer shackles will lift in the front and lower in the back. Shackles are over the springs in the front, and under the springs in the rear.

A slightly longer (inch or so at most) shackle will help a lift spring stretch and flex more. I would check all your spring bolts and make sure they're not too tight as well. I used all metal lock nuts on mine, they do not need to be (nor do you want them to be) super torqued down.

Also, as Stuka mentioned, 38 psi is a pretty high pressure for most tires, unless you're either carrying quite a bit of weight or aiming for max mpg (lost cause in these). Likely you're wearing the center of your tires out running that high as well.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Fire1 wrote:If you don't really like the 2" Spring ride you could always put the old springs back on and install the Rocklaurence FSSR. Will be a softer street ride, better on high speed off-road and still lift you 2". You will surrender some hard core crawling competency but it doesn't look like you've built that ride to flog it on trails.
Amen Brother!! :D

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

okay that is a nice height!!! not too much ...just right :) Thanks for posting those :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
Iroc313

Post by Iroc313 »

Stuka wrote:Drop your tires down to 32, will ride a whole lot better. I run the tires on my truck at 30.
I'll give this a shot. I always go over on my tire pressure for the mileage reason, now that you guys mention it there isn't much point on this truck haha.

I'll look into the FSSR next.