Suspension Lift Kit Questions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Santeh

Suspension Lift Kit Questions

Post by Santeh »

Hello All,

I am looking to add a suspension lift kit to my 1978 Jeep Cherokee S but have only been able to find a few places that sell applicable kits such as BJ's Offroad and Summit:

BJ's: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/BDS-4-Inch-Su ... _1295.html

Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja- ... l/cherokee

The kit from BJ's has a lot of options and, if I go with it, I am thinking of adding the pitman arm ($60), new leaf spring bolts ($40; not sure why this is not included), dual Rancho steering stabilizers ($160), stainless steel brake lines ($100), Bilstein shocks ($340), and polyurethane shackle bushings ($27) for an total of $1,700. Is this a decent set-up? I am not sure if I would need extension brackets or a sway bar. If it helps, my main use of the Jeep is weekend driving with occasional off-road, and the farthest I might attempt to drive it is 500 miles one way.

Are there any other kits or set-ups that might be recommended?

Thanks all!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Suspension Lift Kit Questions

Post by Stuka »

I would not bother with dual stabilizers unless you have wheels with very little backspacing (like 2.5"). A single is plenty, and I have not even had one on my J10 for about a decade now (the tab broke off the spring plate).

Oh, and I would use rubber bushings. They are *WAY* quieter. The poly bushings will end up squeaking like crazy. Greasing them will stop the squeaks for a while, but not forever.

If you stock spring bolts are in good shape, and not really rusted, I would re-use them. U-bolts are the one that that you really do need to replace, which the kits come with.

Skyjacker makes a really nice set of springs. Bit taller, but nice riding. Hell Creek also makes springs, and they offer an FSJN discount. BJ's kit is also pretty good.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Stuka wrote:I would not bother with dual stabilizers unless you have wheels with very little backspacing (like 2.5"). A single is plenty, and I have not even had one on my J10 for about a decade now (the tab broke off the spring plate).

Oh, and I would use rubber bushings. They are *WAY* quieter. The poly bushings will end up squeaking like crazy. Greasing them will stop the squeaks for a while, but not forever.

If you stock spring bolts are in good shape, and not really rusted, I would re-use them. U-bolts are the one that that you really do need to replace, which the kits come with.

Skyjacker makes a really nice set of springs. Bit taller, but nice riding. Hell Creek also makes springs, and they offer an FSJN discount. BJ's kit is also pretty good.
Hello!

Thanks for the help! I greatly appreciate it!

I liked the Skyjacker suspension set as it certainly easier on the wallet. Yet would I need to add any of the extra items to the Skyjacker suspension kit that are offered by BJ's for their suspension set (pitman arm, new shocks, etc)?

Out of curiosity, would a 4" lift look too tall on a narrow-track?

Thanks again!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

4" is fine on an NT, but does look better with some 8" wide wheels and 31x10.50 tires over the stock 7" wide wheels and stock tires.

Skyjacker has a kit with shocks and such: https://skyjacker.com/shop/category/sus ... -lift-kit/

You will need to enter in the year and model (Use "Cheroke (SJ)" ). And the price varies on what shocks you choose. Brake lines it kind of depends. I have had stock lines be ok at 4", and stock lines be too short. Depends on the year. A drop pitman arm is also a maybe/maybe not. Both 4" lifts I have used had no DPA, and they were fine. At 6" you definitely need it though.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Hello!

Even though I have what I am told is a worn-out 2-inch lift, my Cherokee did come with 31” wheels.

I took a look at the Skyjacker site for their suspension kits. Much like BJ’s, there is a lot of options. However, unlike BJ’s the kits are generally much less expensive.

I did a quick search and people seem to like both the Nitro and Black Max shocks etc. I am completely new to suspension kits, thus for my intended purposes for my Cherokee is there a particular kind of kit (or item(s) thereof) I should be looking for?

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I went with this one

https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/skyja ... 1974-1983/

It was complete everything I need and they gave me a deal on shipping because I asked for it.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

ShagWagon wrote:I went with this one

https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/skyja ... 1974-1983/

It was complete everything I need and they gave me a deal on shipping because I asked for it.
Nice! Thank you! May I ask if you went with the hydro or nitro shocks? Does one give a smoother ride versus the other?

Thanks again!

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I went with hydro and it bounced around like heck at first, but mellowed out considerably as they wore in. Really good ride down the hwy now and stable when I tow the boat.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

ShagWagon wrote:I went with hydro and it bounced around like heck at first, but mellowed out considerably as they wore in. Really good ride down the hwy now and stable when I tow the boat.
Nice! Thank you! It’s good to know that your skyjacker set-up with hydro works well both on the highway/freeway and towing! :)

I appreciate it!