bed liner between body and armor?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jpswapmohn

bed liner between body and armor?

Post by jpswapmohn »

An idea i am playing around with and can’t find much info on:

I have body armor all over the YJ, and will likely put some on the bottom of the GW when the time comes. I cut heavy rubber infused cloth to make liners for the yj and placed between the body and the armor. But I also know that water gets in there and likely does not really wick dry out with our east coast weather. I was thinking that a smooth bed liner like Durabak might be a better solution. Anyone have experience along these lines?

The body of the yj has good paint. I let it cure for several months, waxed it and the back of the armor (power coated) really well before putting it all together about 18 months ago, but the water is a concern.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

tgreese

Re: bed liner between body and armor?

Post by tgreese »

When the factory has two steel body parts next to each other, they use seam sealer. I have and like this stuff - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H2 ... UTF8&psc=1
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Thank you, Tim.
Would that permanently attach the armor to the outside of the body? There may be cause to remove it occasionally.
I had considered using silicon around the edges, but worried that condensation would get trapped. And if a gap ever formed in the silicon, water would get in and have no way to drain/evaporate. I am probably over-thinking it.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Silicon sealer is an excellent glue, especially when spread over a large area. You'd do better with hot melt. It would be hard to work with though.

If I wanted to be able to take the armor off, I would put something in the gap to keep the parts from rubbing each other, and then go ahead and inspect by removing every couple of years. The body steel will be fine as long as the paint is intact.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I have the rubber matting between the body and armor now. Maybe the water is not such an issue as long as i remove occasionally, dry out and reapply a good couple of wax coats?

Removing and reinstalling all of it is no small task, but i have done it a few times already. I was just thinking maybe the smooth bed liner would prevent need of removal.. laziness, i guess.

I have been doing more reading, and there is potential of the bedliner absorbing water as it has some porosity. That may be even worse than the 3 parts i have sandwiched together now (body, rubber mat, armor).
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Mmm. I kinda think this problem can't be separated from the whole idea of surface-applied body armor. That said, automotive paint withstands water pretty well for a long time. I believe the worst hazard for paint is UV exposure from sunlight, which breaks down the polymers in the top coat - it's radiation, and breaks the molecular bonds. Your body armor will protect the paint too, and I suspect the paint will be perfect and shiny when you remove the armor. Wherever there is bare steel exposed, H2O and O2 will oxidize the edges. Iron expands when it oxidizes - this is like a wedge that exposes new, fresh steel. Exposed primer edges are bad too, since primer is porous and conducts moisture between the top coat and steel. So I would make sure the top coat has no gaps (at the screw holes for the armor, for example) and keep steel from rubbing on steel, put it together and not worry. Life's too short ...
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

thanks for the reassurance. the holes were there when painted and i made sure no chipping, unless I caused some while re-installing.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

What are the alternatives? An exo? Let the dents happen? You could cut out the fenders where the armor is and weld it in. This is a frequent approach for rocker panels. :fsj: Then paint over everything.

But that's probably not helpful. :-bd
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

So not sure if this would work or not but for a less permanent solution how about a couple coats of plasti-dip. I've never used the stuff myself but its pretty durable, will protect your paint, doesnt absorb water and can be pealed off if you ever want to remove it. It would be easy enough to try out on a single panel to see if it was a worthwhile option.
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of that!
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)