Brush (Grille) Guards

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Santeh

Brush (Grille) Guards

Post by Santeh »

Hello all,

I am moving ahead with some changes to my 1978 Jeep Cherokee S and was curious what kinds of brush (grille) guards others have installed on their Jeeps? I searched the forum and did not see much, as well as looking around the internet all I really found was the Killer 32 winch mount from BJ's (please see: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Killer32-Winc ... _1105.html). I do not mind the BJ version, but I am unsure if $575 is a good price as well as that I am more interested in adding fog lights and not a winch to my S (in all honesty I am not sure if a winch works well with the S versus a Chief).

Thanks all!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

Fast Eddie

Re: Brush (Grille) Guards

Post by Fast Eddie »

Back in the day, my Cherokee Chief had a factory Brush/Grill guard. It was very nice and I mounted lights to it also. I had fogs (lower) and off-road lights upper. I know they are out there, but won't be easy to find these days!! eBay or Craigslist perhaps??? FYI. I DO know they were designed to fit all SJ-Jeeps!!!
1979 J20, 360 w/NV4500/D300 Twin Stick/3.73 SOLD
1978 Cherokee Chief W/T Levi interior, 360 Q/T. SCRAPPED
1970 Gladiator J4800 Camper Special, Buick 350, 4spd. SOLD

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Fast Eddie wrote:Back in the day, my Cherokee Chief had a factory Brush/Grill guard. It was very nice and I mounted lights to it also. I had fogs (lower) and off-road lights upper. I know they are out there, but won't be easy to find these days!! eBay or Craigslist perhaps??? FYI. I DO know they were designed to fit all SJ-Jeeps!!!
Thanks! I will keep an eye out. I did see one a 1978 brush guard on eBay but its rather rusty thus I will keep looking. I still don't mind the BJ one so long as it is a decent price and I can fit fog lights on it.

Thanks again!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Shipping can be a pain on the factory brush guard because of the shape. Where are you?

I have fit a 79+ brush guard to a 77. Just takes moving or changing the attachment bracket to the bumper.

http://jubileejeeps.org/tech/phoebebrushguard/index.htm
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

fulsizjeep wrote:Shipping can be a pain on the factory brush guard because of the shape. Where are you?

I have fit a 79+ brush guard to a 77. Just takes moving or changing the attachment bracket to the bumper.

http://jubileejeeps.org/tech/phoebebrushguard/index.htm
Nice! Thanks! I actually came across the Jubilee Jeeps site earlier and was most impressed. And, naturally, with my having a 1978 Cherokee it would be the older type. :D

I am in Florida. I agree on the shipping as the one from BJ's would be several hundred to ship to me. Sigh...

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Santeh wrote:Nice! Thanks! I actually came across the Jubilee Jeeps site earlier and was most impressed. And, naturally, with my having a 1978 Cherokee it would be the older type. :D

I am in Florida. I agree on the shipping as the one from BJ's would be several hundred to ship to me. Sigh...
Thanks for the compliment! I have a 79 & up brush guard in good shape that I would let go of but shipping CO to FL may be a pain.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

fulsizjeep wrote:
Thanks for the compliment! I have a 79 & up brush guard in good shape that I would let go of but shipping CO to FL may be a pain.

PM sent. Thank you!

Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

I have this one on my 79 Chief that I'm taking off. Works with or without a winch. Has light tabs welded on. Made heavy duty.Image
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

I have a factory repop . I purchased this brush gard 25 years ago . Heavy gauge steel with optional fog light brackets . When I removed from jeep I took off in one piece bumper and Guard together so I would not misplace any brackets or bolts . This guard is mounted to a very good condition one piece bumper .This is for sale .pickup only in mass. TODAYS SPECIAL..400.00 .Can text pictures pm me
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

fsj454 wrote:I have a factory repop . I purchased this brush gard 25 years ago . Heavy gauge steel with optional fog light brackets . When I removed from jeep I took off in one piece bumper and Guard together so I would not misplace any brackets or bolts . This guard is mounted to a very good condition one piece bumper .This is for sale .pickup only in mass. TODAYS SPECIAL..400.00 .Can text pictures pm me
Hello!

Thank you for the offer but for myself I have a nice offer on a brush guard (which I accepted) and I love in Florida. Yet I hope someone got this!