Wagoneer frame swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Fortune&Glory

Wagoneer frame swap

Post by Fortune&Glory »

This is my first post so forgive me if I’m in the wrong section or I missed where something similar was posted. I’ve got an 88 Grand Wagoneer and a 2015 JK unlimited. I wheeled both recently and had a thought. Has anyone ever considered swapping a jk unlimited frame and suspension under a Grand Wagoneer? Widths and lengths are close enough that some fabrication/ midificstion could make them fit. I just thought it would be an option for updating the suspension performance and ride quality.

Well I tried to post a picture of the Grand but I’m getting an error of the file being too big... anyone know a way around this too?

Gumby

Re: Wagoneer frame swap

Post by Gumby »

I wouldn't mind seeming this modification done. I say go for it but I'd surely do the entire power train too.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

tgreese

Re: Wagoneer frame swap

Post by tgreese »

The two vehicles are about the same overall size, but the JKU wheelbase is longer. A Wagoneer has more overhang, and worse front/rear breakover than a JKU. I suppose this is because you can put the wheels much closer to the corners on a coil-sprung vehicle than with leaf springs. And the Wagoneer uses longer springs than a CJ for example, to favor a better ride (I presume).

The site won't host your pictures. You need to host them somewhere and hotlink, or put a link to the pictures and we can click through to see them.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.