Extra (Auxiliary) Fuel Tank?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Santeh

Extra (Auxiliary) Fuel Tank?

Post by Santeh »

Hello all,

As I am nearing the end of the needed mechanical issues for my Jeep there are a few extras I would like to add. One is an extra (auxiliary) fuel tank to supplement the original 20-gallon. As I have no idea where to start, I did a quick search but mainly found this thread:

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... nk#p153797

Has anyone tried this for an SJ Cherokee? What did you use and did you like the results? Would an auxiliary system mount to a 1978 Cherokee that has an FiTech fuel injector? Would you do a "wired in" auxiliary tank again or would you go with an external mount gas can (something like this: https://www.extremeterrain.com/garvin-g ... &gclsrc=ds)?

Thank you, everyone!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

RamJetFSJ

Re: Extra (Auxiliary) Fuel Tank?

Post by RamJetFSJ »

How much more gas are you looking to haul? And everyday, or just on longer trips?
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

RamJetFSJ wrote:How much more gas are you looking to haul? And everyday, or just on longer trips?
The longest one-way haul I would do is around 500 miles so I was thinking of an extra tank (around 20-25 gallons). Yet I was also thinking about being in the middle of nowhere on a trail and not waiting to be in great danger of running out of gas by the time I figure out where I am and can get back to gas station.

I am currently not looking to use my Cherokee as a daily driver, but I would love to have that option in case I ever needed it. As such, this would be for occasional longer trips (camping, special events, evacuating a hurricane, etc.).
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

81waggy

Post by 81waggy »

Just my 2 cents, but I think it might be more trouble than its worth. 25 gallons of gas is about 150lbs not including the tank, lines, etc. Unless your taking it to seriously remote areas where there isn't a gas station for 250 miles. Not to mention 45 gallons will cost ~$150 to fill up.

If your looking more distance per tank, I would consider looking at eliminating your current tank and replace it with a 30-35 gallon one. I've seen threads that they'll fit where the spare tire is.

Though I certainly understand the idea that you want to do it just because you want to. Half of my waggy is built that way.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

81waggy wrote:Just my 2 cents, but I think it might be more trouble than its worth. 25 gallons of gas is about 150lbs not including the tank, lines, etc. Unless your taking it to seriously remote areas where there isn't a gas station for 250 miles. Not to mention 45 gallons will cost ~$150 to fill up.

If your looking more distance per tank, I would consider looking at eliminating your current tank and replace it with a 30-35 gallon one. I've seen threads that they'll fit where the spare tire is.

Though I certainly understand the idea that you want to do it just because you want to. Half of my waggy is built that way.
I have actually been thinking the same and may just look to both a newer, larger tank and maybe adding an external gas carrier to the back of my Cherokee.

Thanks everyone! :)

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I have two Jerry cans which would give me an extra ten gallons...but an extra tank would be nice too :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

derf

Post by derf »

I like the idea of a much larger tank mostly for road trips.

Thing about a bigger tank is that you don't have to fill it all the way full if you know you're just going to be driving around town. Alternatively, you could always fill it up every time you hit half a tank. Assuming you're using an in tank pump, that would guarantee to always keep it cool.

And when you hit the road, a 42 gallon suburban tank would get you quite a ways down the road without having to stop and fill up every hour.