Closest RetroSound I could find to the original look

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
merrill77

Closest RetroSound I could find to the original look

Post by merrill77 »

Based on the images I could find online and my '77 sales brochure, this was the closest I could get to the stock look. The chrome bezel is way too wide and sticks out too far from the panel. The knobs are a perfect match, though.

The PO had also installed a RetroSound (pic below), but the AUX input was flakey - the left channel would drop out on a frequent basis. I have bluetooth in all my other cars and was missing it badly. Wife prompted me to pick out an upgrade for my birthday. Install was pretty easy - the newer unit was plug-compatible with the old so the wiring was already done. Needed to modify the holes a bit to fit the wider knobs. The rear knobs (chrome) still sit out a bit from the panel and from an angle you could see the cut-out holes. Fortunately, the install kit includes some black rings (not visible) that cover up that ugliness nicely.

BTW, the old unit is for sale. Works great except for the flakey AUX input. It is a Laguna and will come with the newer wiring harness, which IMO is a slight improvements on the older harness. Retail is $190...selling for $90 plus shipping.

Here is a link to the Laguna they have listed for Wagoneers, which will give you the specs, etc, but the pic directly above is the actual unit for sale, with knobs and faceplate.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

fulsizjeep

Re: Closest RetroSound I could find to the original look

Post by fulsizjeep »

Looks good! :-bd Too bad about the old one. We got a RetroSound in Krista's 77 in 2011 and like it. We use the aux input a lot. Still haven't put rear speakers in to get the full impact. The knobs were on the Panasonic AM/FM/CB when we got her and were kind of attached to them.

Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Fast Eddie

Re: Closest RetroSound I could find to the original look

Post by Fast Eddie »

I got a Retrosounds Hermosa unit with Bluetooth and a USB port in my 79 J20. Very happy with install, sound and my black bezel is much smaller than chrome one shown in your photo. Your right, knobs look original!! Anyway, best fitting unit for old Jeep dashes and NO Cutting needed!!! I love all the options and it really does sound great with 4 speakers hooked up!! VERY HAPPY to have music again!!!
1979 J20, 360 w/NV4500/D300 Twin Stick/3.73 SOLD
1978 Cherokee Chief W/T Levi interior, 360 Q/T. SCRAPPED
1970 Gladiator J4800 Camper Special, Buick 350, 4spd. SOLD