Replacing Brake Booster and Master Cylinder

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
turtlehead

Replacing Brake Booster and Master Cylinder

Post by turtlehead »

I have a 1972 Jeep Wagoneer and need a new Brake Booster and Master Cylinder - but, it's not as simple as it should be:

I'm looking to replace the brake booster AND master and be done.

The axles/brakes are not original, they're out of an 86 Dodge w150 - drum/disc combo

No idea where the current booster and master came from.

Curious - what do I need to know to source a proper replacement for the Booster and Master? - eg: be able to mount to the firewall properly and pair with the stock brake pedal - and properly drive the drums and discs?

Thanks!!
1972 Wagoneer
filthy mods by previous owner:
1986 Dodge W100 Axles
Random brake parts...
1967 Buick 340 engine
SOA swap with some questionable install parts

tgreese

Re: Replacing Brake Booster and Master Cylinder

Post by tgreese »

Do you believe the booster and master cylinder came from a different application?

A '72 Wagonner came with 4-wheel drums, and a dual master cylinder, and 99% likely power brakes. I suspect the booster and master cylinder ar the originals. Look here https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 15&jsn=408 - this is the original master cylinder. If you want, you can get a new one of these for about $40. Some of these cylinders have a residual pressure valve behind the brake line seat. You don't need it with front disk brakes, but it may or may not be present in your master cylinder.

If you have the original brake booster, RockAuto shows it as available rebuilt and is shown here https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 12&jsn=412 - If this is what you have, you could just replace it with a rebuilt part.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I have never done this but I heard or read somewhere that the 74-80 FSJ booster and master cylinder are compatible in 68-73 models. What I read probably has more to do with putting the 74-79 Wagoneer axles (disk/drum) under an earlier drum brake Wagoneer. I could be totally wrong but would be looking at that option if it was me.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
turtlehead

Post by turtlehead »

tgreese wrote:Do you believe the booster and master cylinder came from a different application?
I know for sure that the Booster isn't original, and I'm mostly sure the master isn't but can't confirm that. (previous owner did some really really random work on this thing)

But, I like the rock auto option, just grab both and go.
1972 Wagoneer
1986 Dodge W100 Axles
Random brake parts...
1967 Buick 340 engine

Topic author
turtlehead

Post by turtlehead »

fulsizjeep wrote:I have never done this but I heard or read somewhere that the 74-80 FSJ booster and master cylinder are compatible in 68-73 models. What I read probably has more to do with putting the 74-79 Wagoneer axles (disk/drum) under an earlier drum brake Wagoneer. I could be totally wrong but would be looking at that option if it was me.
Do you know if there's any advantage to grabbing them off a newer FSJ?
1972 Wagoneer
1986 Dodge W100 Axles
Random brake parts...
1967 Buick 340 engine

letank

Post by letank »

turtlehead wrote:
fulsizjeep wrote:I have never done this but I heard or read somewhere that the 74-80 FSJ booster and master cylinder are compatible in 68-73 models. What I read probably has more to do with putting the 74-79 Wagoneer axles (disk/drum) under an earlier drum brake Wagoneer. I could be totally wrong but would be looking at that option if it was me.
sometime ago such as BC, it was said that you could put the 79 and latter brake booster/MC combo on the earlier FSJ such as 74-78 which have the single diaphragm brake booster.

May be a pict of your set up will be helpful to our investigation unit!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

turtlehead wrote:
I would think the main advantage is the later parts have the same geometry as the earlier, so they will work with the existing firewall shape, dash and sled bracket. Plus you shouldn't have to figure out the push rod lengths. Should mostly bolt on.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

babywag

Post by babywag »

I put newer ‘79 parts on my ‘73, had redrill 1 maybe 2 firewall holes IIRC. The ‘73 was oddball 1yr only setup.

‘83-‘91 uses a decent dual-diaphragm booster and gm style alum. master. If I was doing similar swap these days that’s what I’d use.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Thanks Tony! I knew this had been done to some extent before but my gray matter is less capable of storing the footnotes nowadays.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

babywag

Post by babywag »

fulsizjeep wrote:Thanks Tony! I knew this had been done to some extent before but my gray matter is less capable of storing the footnotes nowadays.
I had my '73 build thread/dealio on here w/ pics and such, but when site crashed or whatever happened way back when it all went bye bye.
There was some good info in that thread on using later model brake parts on my '73.
My memory isn't great either, but overall it was pretty easy IIRC.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)