Rusty’s 4 inch lift install

Modified FSJ Tech Area

78 Arizona Chief

Re: Rusty’s 4 inch lift install

Post by 78 Arizona Chief »

On my brother's '88 wag we had to drop the fuel tank, cut off the 90-degree tabs on either side of the frame that the ebrake cables go through and then used angle iron drilled for the cable to pass through and then bolted the new 90-degree brackets to the frame roughly an inch rearward. There is enough slack in the threaded rod on the intermediate cable to accommodate that shift rearward. It provided all the extra slack we needed.
Kevin
1978 Cherokee Chief: Parents bought new. 360/TH400/NOS Quadratrac, 44's/ARB's/4.10's, SOA, Shackle Flip, Alcan Springs, FOX 2.0's, 35" BFG KM2s, custom bumpers, 324,000 miles and counting...

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

78 Arizona Chief wrote:On my brother's '88 wag we had to drop the fuel tank, cut off the 90-degree tabs on either side of the frame that the ebrake cables go through and then used angle iron drilled for the cable to pass through and then bolted the new 90-degree brackets to the frame roughly an inch rearward. There is enough slack in the threaded rod on the intermediate cable to accommodate that shift rearward. It provided all the extra slack we needed.
Kevin
I think this is the best option out there. But I have not wanted to drop my tank yet to do it, lol. This should work to extend the housing enough to give enough slack.

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Yep, that’s my plan also, next time the fuel tank is out (which means probably never).
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Much appreciated!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
NoLaFSJ

Post by NoLaFSJ »

78 Arizona Chief wrote:On my brother's '88 wag we had to drop the fuel tank, cut off the 90-degree tabs on either side of the frame that the ebrake cables go through and then used angle iron drilled for the cable to pass through and then bolted the new 90-degree brackets to the frame roughly an inch rearward. There is enough slack in the threaded rod on the intermediate cable to accommodate that shift rearward. It provided all the extra slack we needed.
Kevin
Thanks for the info. This sounds like the best solution and is the route I will most likely go. My tank skid plate could use a good cleaning/painting anyway and it would be nice to inspect/clean/ paint the areas behind the tank, so I may just take a weekend and sort it all out at once.

Anything else worth doing while the tank is out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian

1990 Grand Wagoneer

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Obviously replace the hoses and maybe the grommets on the rollover valves, etc..
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

One day mine will look like that :) Beautiful job!!!
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"