Herculiner/Recarpet Question

Modified FSJ Tech Area

tgreese

Re: Herculiner/Recarpet Question

Post by tgreese »

One owner's experience with bed liner on the interior - https://web.archive.org/web/20090307035 ... d-repaint/

This gets done a lot to CJs. https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Aea ... +bed+liner It was trendy, but I think it's being done a lot less now that people have experience with it.

It's good for what it was developed for - lining truck beds. Good if you are carrying gravel or 2x4s. Very abrasion and impact resistant, for a coating. Not kid or skin friendly, I gather.

Nothing wrong with carpet everywhere, as long as the roof does not leak. The Jeep carpet kits were indoor-outdoor carpet with bound edges, and they snapped in and snapped out for cleaning.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I agree with you on the stuff with the rubber granules. I wouldn't use it again in anything, not even a truck bed. Just too rough and ugly.

Smooth Durabak I would use again on the interior. I'm thinking on using it to smooth out the rough stuff on the interior of my CJ.

Too bad for the guy in your first link. Sounds like the previous owner did proper prep before painting in the liner.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

donniesoup

Post by donniesoup »

I used monstaliner on the top of a popup camper two years ago. I applied it to silver chassis saver painted over the foam sub l-core roof. It has held up extremely well. The camper is stored outside in Michigan elements. I would use there products again. There customer service was great with answering all my questions. You can spray it or roll it. Over the weekend I cleaned tiles garage out and found a sponge roller I used I apply the material. It was hard! I took several swings of a hammer and did zero damage.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I did herculiner. Scruffed up the floor with a wire brush and used acetone all over before applying two coats. Took one gallon.
Also applied on roof before my headliner and screwed roof rack right into it.

I'm happy. Covered it with carpet kit and a vinyl in the cargo area. Makes a big difference in sound deadening. I don't know who would say it doesn't. Rubber doesn't carry sound very well.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Hello Again Everyone,

Thanks again for the thoughts! I greatly appreciate it!

As my main reasons for thinking of lining the floors and cargo door in my 1978 Jeep Cherokee was to help with heat and sound, I was doing some more reading and I was curious if, instead of lining the interior of the jeep with something like Line X and then carpeting, I went with Dynamat and then Essex carpet on top of the flooring (please see: https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-Se ... ds=dynamat). Has anyone tried something like this?

Thanks all!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Thanks again for the thoughts! I greatly appreciate it!

As my main reasons for thinking of lining the floors and cargo door in my 1978 Jeep Cherokee was to help with heat and sound, I was doing some more reading and I was curious if, instead of lining the interior of the jeep with something like Line X and then carpeting, I went with Dynamat and then Essex carpet on top of the flooring (please see: https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-Se ... ds=dynamat). Has anyone tried something like this?

ShagWagon wrote:I did herculiner. Scruffed up the floor with a wire brush and used acetone all over before applying two coats. Took one gallon.

I'm happy. Covered it with carpet kit and a vinyl in the cargo area. Makes a big difference in sound deadening. I don't know who would say it doesn't. Rubber doesn't carry sound very well.
Just to be sure, you added the Herculiner, carpet, and then vinyl in the cargo aera? May I ask what vinyl you used on top of the Herculiner?

Thanks all!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

It's been done but Dynamat is an expensive way to "deaden" sound. Its main purpose is to take the "bong" out of panels and full coverage isn't required for that.

To block sound most effectively you want a thin layer of foam, closed cell so it doesn't absorb water, then a layer of heavy vinyl or "MLV" . The foam is a decoupler and prevents noise being transfered to the vinyl.

Using Dynamat is not as effective as the layering because the energy is transfered directly to it from the metal.

Neither is a layer of Herculiner or Line-X.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

SJTD wrote:It's been done but Dynamat is an expensive way to "deaden" sound. Its main purpose is to take the "bong" out of panels and full coverage isn't required for that.

To block sound most effectively you want a thin layer of foam, closed cell so it doesn't absorb water, then a layer of heavy vinyl or "MLV" . The foam is a decoupler and prevents noise being transfered to the vinyl.

Using Dynamat is not as effective as the layering because the energy is transfered directly to it from the metal.

Neither is a layer of Herculiner or Line-X.
Hmm. Thank you. So for my purpose (mainly sound and heat/cold), it would be best to put a layer of foam, a layer of vinyl, and then the carpeting, yes? It is always not to be able to have an extra layer of moister protection if at all possible. If this is correct, may I ask what kind of foam to use before the MLV or heavy vinyl?

I am still thinking of doing this to the passenger area and Line X or Herculining the cargo area yet I am debating dropping the lining altogether and just carpeting (with foam/vinyl underneath) if that is the best route for heat and sound (and an added layer of moisture protection if possible).

Thank you!

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Santeh wrote:Thanks again for the thoughts! I greatly appreciate it!

ShagWagon wrote:I did herculiner. Scruffed up the floor with a wire brush and used acetone all over before applying two coats. Took one gallon.

Just to be sure, you added the Herculiner, carpet, and then vinyl in the cargo aera? May I ask what vinyl you used on top of the Herculiner?

Thanks all!
Was from a ACC vinyl kit the PO threw in he had bought. I didn't put it on the front and rears. Left the carpet area for where the people sit. The vinyl where the dirty wet dogs, goats, car parts and lumber sits.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

[/quote]

Was from a ACC vinyl kit the PO threw in he had bought. I didn't put it on the front and rears. Left the carpet area for where the people sit. The vinyl where the dirty wet dogs, goats, car parts and lumber sits.[/quote]

Ah, I see. Very good. Thanks! I am certainly still considering doing just this; namely Line X/Durabak/Herculiner the interior (maybe just cargo area?) and then carpeting the passenger area only. If not, I would just forget the lining and simply recarpet the whole interior.

Thanks!
Last edited by Santeh on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Sorry, accidental double post.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

There was a thread in the Build Forum or maybe the Diesel Forum recently where a feller posted his sources for the MLV and foam.
Sic friatur crustulum

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

SJTD wrote:There was a thread in the Build Forum or maybe the Diesel Forum recently where a feller posted his sources for the MLV and foam.

Nice! I will take a look.

Thank you!

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Bed liner does nothing to insulate from heat or sound. It is terrible at both.

Bed liner is also a great thing to hide rust until it is too late to fix it.

Bed liner also requires much more effort to clean than a high-gloss enamel paint. Dirt clings to it, since it is very abrasive, dirst almost wipes off a high-gloss enamel paint. Think of farm tractors and implements. They paint them those shiny colors for a reason: so they clean up easy. Flat colors attract more dirt. Bed liner usually attracts tons and will always look dirty.

Low grade bed liner is not UV stable and looks like faded gray in short order. UV stabilized liner lasts longer but eventually looks like the cheap faded plastic too.

I would avoid the bed liner and go with some of the suggestions like closed cell foam/MLV with pull out carpet... or even rubber mats over closed cell foam and MLV.

Lizard Skins makes paint coatings that absorb sound and insulate against heat transfer. They are pricey, but I would use those instead of a bed-liner if I wanted to insulate from heat or sound.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I agree somewhat on the bedliner not working as well as other materials to deaden heat and sound. What dynamat (and others do) is take a lot of the reverberations/ting out of the picture. You may still get the sound, but it won't be as harsh. Also, you don't really need full coverage to create the "deadening" effect. I am currently working on the interior of my cherk. Putting down some off brand sound deadener in certain places. Also using some reflectix on the higher heat areas (trans tunnel, floor pans). Plan to just use some aluminum tape to hold it down to the sound deadener material. This will all be covered with the ACC carpet with the mass backing. It already has some insulation built in around the trans tunnel area etc. Just figured I would add a little more. The main goal is to keep the cabin relatively stable as it pertains to temp and sound. It's still an old vehicle, but just looking to improve things a little.